Should i ditch my 24-105L?

philip_jacobsen

<p>Hi guys.<br>

I am shooting with a 60d and some time ago i treated my self to a 24-105mm lens as a general purpose lens. As time goes by this purchase makes less and less sense to me. 24 just isn't wide enough on a 1.6 crop body. </p>

<p>The contender seems to be the 15-85. I have a 30mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.4 so there is no need for the 17-55 2.8 for the sake of the f-stop.</p>

<p>Yes the 15-85 is a 3.5-5.6 but then again the 24-105 is a 4 so that isn't really an issue right? I just hate selling an L lens for a ef-s lens but at these focal lengths it makes sense yes? </p>

<p>As far as IQ goes, does anyone have a comparison? i have only heard great things about the ef-s. The L delivers as a red ring should ofcourse...</p>

<p>Thank you<br>

from a slightly anxious Phil</p>

<p>Well, it all depends on your budget and needs, but I think if I were in your situation I would keep the 24-105mm and buy an ultra-wide zoom as well. The Canon 10-22mm f/3.5, Tokina 11-16mm f/4, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, and Sigma 10-20mm are all well-regarded.</p>

<p>The 15-85mm is supposed to be a good lens, but I haven't seen anyone saying it's L-quality, optically speaking.</p>

At one point I shot the 24-105 in conjunction with a 17-40. (I do not recommend the 17-40 for use on crop.) The focal

length range of the two lenses was useful, but the wide zoom wasn't quite wide enough in some situations.

If I had your camera, for my purposes I would build my lens system around the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. It does a

good job of covering the core focal length range. You could also keep the current lens and augment it with the 10-22.

Dan

<p>I would get the 15-85. The 17-55 is a wonderful lens (I used it for years with the 30D and thought the world of it), and would be perfect if went just a little bit wider. I've not personally used the 15-85, but I've seen its test results and they were terrific. In principle, you could pair the 10-22 with the 24-105, but I caution you that you may be frustrated by frequent lens changes.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input so far guys...</p>

<p>i have the tokina 11-16 for my ultra wide angle shots. I am thinking more about a lens that does all fairly well. Not possible lens pairs. To me the 15-85 seems to fit that description best. Whenever i take the 24-105 with be as my only lens I miss a couple of wider mm's.</p>

<p>My setup is:<br>

11-16 2.8, 30 1.4, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 Macro, and 70-200. (plus the 24-105)<br>

I feel that the lenses above cover my needs for any purpose. But say on a vacation or if i really have to pack light. What general purpose would be best on a crop.<br>

Phil</p>

<p>I think you have to consider your previous question about street shooting in concert with this question. There are many good reasons why the EF-S 17 to 55/2.8 IS USM was made - I think you should seriously consider it as your main working lens.<br>

Personally, an F/4 zoom lens for me is an "additional" or "convenient lens" and I would find the 24 to 105 more convenient on FF format, than on a 60D - for the reason you have outlined.<br>

IMO, the 22 /24 mm cutover FL is also inconvenient on APS-C, so I if I were to buy a slow zoom, I would find the 10 to 22 would better match the 17 to 55 and then something like 70 to 200 would fill the longer end - the gap between 55 and 70 is not inconvenient for me.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the older EF-S 17-85mm IS and it is still my lens of choice for walk-about shooting. When I recently went to Vancouver to visit my daughter I took only my old 20D and the 17-85. Worked out fine.<br /> If I were shooting with a newer APS-C these days, I'd definitely upgrade to the 15-85. That extra 2mm would have been just right for me.<br /> I do love my 24-105, but I don't think I've ever put it on either of my APS-C bodies. It stays on my also elderly, but working fine thanks, 5D. If you've got the ultrawide Tokina and find the lens switching routine inconvenient, "convenience" is the middle name of the 15-85. The combination of the lens and the size of the xxD bodies is a very well balanced combination. Carry your 35 or 50mm prime for low light, and Bob's your uncle.</p>

<p>Having the 24-105 already, though, does make it harder. You'd probably never find another copy of it for what you'd get for it, if you know what I mean but it's not so great (for me) on the APS-C bodies. On the other hand, my daughter has a 28-135mm IS as her major lens on her APS-C body, so it's a matter of choice.</p>

<p>I second the suggestion of going full-frame. You can sell the Tokina zoom and the Sigma 30mm (although it is a fun toy camera-like lens on FF). This will pay for half what an old 5D costs. If you want to, you can get a cheap/fast wide angle prime (20mm, 24mm, 28mm -- whatever you like), but the EF 24-105mm L IS zoom probably covers that.</p>

<p>But if you want to stick with the EOS 60D (after all, it is a much more modern dSLR), then I'd sell the L zoom and get the EF-S 15-85mm as one-lens solution.</p>

<p>My focal length starts from 24mm, I resolved the 24mm and below with a 10-22mm which produces great images. Bear in mind that there is a bigger difference from 10-24 than you have from 17mm to 24mm. I found the 10mm very useful.<br>

Also should you ever decide to go full frame 24mm will become a wide angle.<br />Simon.</p>

<p>Its not often I disagree with G Dan, but I really love my 17-40F4L on my 30D. I thought it was the perfect lens range for crop camera, basically making it like the 24-70 on FF. I never purchased any EFS lenses because I always knew I was going to upgrade to a FF camera. Although I don't really do it often I wanted to maintain compatiabilty with my old Canon ELAN 7NE film camera. Never know when I might need that as a backup in some foriegn country.</p>