Which camera to sell?

aaron_yeo

<p>I've got a pair of D200s, and it's time to sell one of them (for a D7000! Whoo!), but the problem is, which one?</p>

<p>I'll list off the differences between the two bodies (A and B):</p>

<p>Both Body A and Body B, while not in the BEST condition due to the way I treat 'em, are free of visible scratches/dings/etc.</p>

<p>Body A's shutter count is at 42000<br>

Body B's shutter count is at 13000</p>

<p>Body A has a bit of peeling rubber on the grips, which I superglued back but it's still not as smooth/clean as the other one.<br>

Body B, on occasion makes a strange squeaky/rattly sound after I release the shutter. It happened with DoF preview as well, but it's not the lens. Image quality did not suffer, but the sound is a little concerning in terms of mechanics.</p>

<p>So which one do you think I should sell?</p>

<p>Body A is a little more rugged and dirtier, but doesn't have this suspicious sound, of which I couldn't find any info via Google.<br>

Body B is cleaner and definitely less used, but this issue (that hasn't techincally been a problem) might prove to be dangerous down the road.</p>

<p>Any advice?</p>

<p>Well, gosh, I guess it depends on your reasons for selling. <br>

I'd feel uncomfortable selling a camera that has an unknown bug. I'd feel even more uncomfortable buying one for the usual D200 price (whatever that is) and I would expect a discount for the problem, with a buy contingent on getting it inspected. But that's me. Have you considered having it looked at by a professional to see if it's a known issue? At the very least, see if you can tell the seller what it is and what it would cost to fix - that should reassure a lot of buyers. Maybe if it's cheap enough to fix, you could have camera B fixed and sell it for your best price.<br>

I own the D200 too and have that problem with the peeling grip. It is something that does not repair well according to two different camera shops I've tried. You really can't fix that easily beyond the superglue. <br>

If you want to get top dollar with a clean conscience, sell camera A that has no obvious issues beyond some cosmetic wear and tear. If you want to sell camera B, you'll need to find someone who won't notice the funny noise, or sell it at a discount to reflect the issue, or fix it and then sell. </p>

<p>Honestly selling both and getting a D700 instead of the 7000 might be the better choice. </p>

<p>I'm only looking to sell one - after going to two bodies, there's no going back to one. For me, at least.</p>

<p>Good points, Jen, I'll see if anyone local can help me out with the problem. D200s seem to go at about $450-650 CDN for what it's worth, and it's really just to help me offset the cost of a new camera.</p>

<p>As much as I'd love a D700 - I don't have the fast wide-to-mid glass to serve me with it, and video is one thing I *am* looking for. And the D7000 has surprised me time and time again; with no D400 in near sight I'm jumping on it.</p>

<p>I'd keep the one with the higher shutter count and sell the one with the lower shutter count. You won't get much for it, maybe $400 if you're lucky, but it will go toward the D7000. You may find you never use the D200 after getting the D7000 though!!</p>

<p>Give to a charity only if you can afford the loss on the tax deduction. If you need the cash for a new body - then sell B (lower shutter count) - </p>

<p>People don't understand that shutter count isn't a magic number or an expiration - it's only a count. I've had a D300 fail at 130,000 clicks - which is 20k under the rating. It started to go at about 100k. I've seen a D700 fail at 1 click. I've heard of D200's - 300's failing at 5-10 k clicks. So it's not about the count, it's about the quality of the electronics that go into a particular body. But 90% of the buyers out there are hung up on click count. </p>

<p>You should be able to get 400-500 maybe even 600 for the one with few clicks. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Yup, video. I'm suckered into it. Print media is dying, it's all about multimedia in my line of work, and being able to produce that at half the price of a D700 is a winner in my books. I'm coming from a D200, not a D300, so I've been lacking AF, ISO, MP, and FPS capabilities for a while now. It's a big upgrade. I picked mine up today (rather luckily) so I'm currently in possession of three bodies at the moment.</p>

<p>It looks like I'll be selling Body B. It does feel a lot nicer with the in-tact rubber and all, but unless I win the lottery I plan on using Body A to its grave. It's rugged but has... character. The lower shutter count of B does sound nicer to people, but I'll warn them about the noise.</p>

<p>Now comes the hard part - getting both cameras to produce as similar images as possible, and deciding which one goes long (80-200) and which one goes short (11-16). Derp.</p>

<p>I would send B to Nikon to get a repair estimate (free and there is n/c if you decide not to repair it). If it is reasonable I would fix it and keep it and sell A. If you do sell it and you fully disclose the issue, the selling price will be adjusted accordingly (probably), possibly more than what the repair would cost. It may be something minor and inexpensive to correct. You never know.</p>

<p>I would sell A as I don't like to sell anything with a known problem. IMHO in the long run it does me more harm then good. It may be ugly but what you see is what you get.<br>

I would seen B to Nikon for an estimate. If it's worth it then get it fixed.<br>

I only got 450 for my D200 two years ago.</p>

<p>I think it is ok to sell a piece of equipment with a known or potential problem, <strong>as long as you fully disclose it</strong> and adjust the price accordingly, and you find a buyer who is willing to accept that with a reduced cost to him/her. If you hide the problem, that is unethical.</p>

<p>I would certainly have Nikon check camera B out - even to just get the idea on how much the repair might cost and how much you need to discount the camera price. If I were to purchase a camera with a known issue, that would be my first question. You could still decide not to have it repaired but disclose the repair estimate to the potential purchasers and leave the decision whether to repair or not to them.<br /> Then again, I would likely keep the lower shutter count one for myself if I were to use it to its grave - after I had it checked and possibly repaired at Nikon.<br /> I guess what I am saying is that without knowing the real scope of the issue, I wouldn't make any decision.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You may find you never use the D200 after getting the D7000 though!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I own a D300 and a D200 - and they both see about equal use.<br>

I actually own two D200 - but one is meterless after the flash "popped" earlier this year and took the entire metering system with it. Because of the high shutter count (100K), I decided against a repair but still use it with my MF lenses until the shutter finally dies on me. At two different times (introduction of D300 and when I purchased mine a year later) I evaluated selling the D200 bodies. The first time, Best Buy selling new D200 for $600 destroyed the price for used D200 bodies and the second time around, the used prices had dropped too much already; in both cases, I would have had to sell both D200 with their MB-D200 to get one D300 with MB-D10. </p>