<p>I have had several crashes while using the new 64 bit Nik Color Efex Pro 3 and Silver Efex Pro in Photoshop CS5. I am using a Macbook Pro with 4 GB ram and loading both Photoshop and Lightroom in 64 bit. Prior to downloading the 64 bit versions of Nik I didn't have any crashes in Photoshop. I haven't had any crashes in Lightroom before or after downloading the 64 bit Nik. I emailed Nik support but they haven't answered. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be causing this?<br>

Bob</p>

<p>it's not hard to imagine that v1.0 of a 64 bit plugin would have some minor 'data alignment' or data structure issues in the code that were not caught in initial QA testing.</p>

<p>do you still have the 32 bit plug-in installed (or did a new version come w/ the 64 bit) ? ie. if you set PS to run in 32 bit mode, is it pulling in the 32 bit version of the plugin.</p>

<p>And honestly, is the desire for 64 bit-ness a real need ie. you're dealing w/ huge files or just a 'nice to have and it's kinda cool to finally have 64 bit'</p>

<p>Thanks folks for your thoughts. You are correct files from 64 bit are huge. My understanding was that it would be faster and that was why I tried. Secondly, I did not do a clean install, just downloaded the update and installed it. However, today went back to 32 bit on Lightroom and Photoshop and so far everything has worked fine. I think I'll just stay in 32 bit until I see a response from Nik. As a matter of fact, considering the file size, I might just stay in 32 bit. </p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p>Just to be clear, files processed in 64bit are not any bigger than other files. The comment above was stating that you only really need 64bit if you are dealing with large files (and therefor need the additional ram it allows you to use, assuming you have it).</p>

<p>I really wish the terminology in some tech was more clear and didn't overlap.. just with photoshop alone you deal with 8bit and 16bit color spaces (which does impact file size), then 32 and 64bit architecture (which is totally unrelated).</p>

<p>I haven't tried the new 64-bit version, but I've noticed that the 32-bit version of Color Efex crashes consistently when started with an active selection. It's easy enough to work around this with a layer mask, but there seems to be something about the architecture of the plug-in that makes it incompatible with selections.</p>