Pricing weddings based on demand

shane_blazek1

<p>What are your thoughts on pricing your time for wedding photography based on demand rather than a fixed price. So a photographer in June would charge more than in January b/c there are more weddings in June and you would have a better chance of finding someone to pay more. Hotels already do this, if you try to book a beach hotel in June, you have to pay way more than if you book it in January. Basically, when someone requests pricing, have them give their wedding date and base the price off of that. Do you think that is a good idea for photographers?</p>

<p>Shane - </p>

<p>Many photographers (yes - even those earning a full time living doing it) offer off season discounts to fill dates. </p>

<p>For examples in other industries - just look at the travel industry - There's a reason that airline tickets around key holiday weekends are never on sale. And a reason why Disney and other resorts offer "off peak" rates. To get people in the door. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Good question & welcome to P-net.</p>

<p>It's a common business practice to offer a discount off season (here in the mid-west it would be November through the end of March) and to offer a discount for days of the week other than Friday, Saturday, & Sunday). It's also very common for other wedding related vendors to offer this as well (caterers, florists, venues, etc...). Not as common but very cool is to offer a discount to military as well.</p>

<p>Suggest that you network with the local pros and vendors in your area for more insight/wisdom.</p>

<p>I don't offer discounts that some perceive as "off-season." <br /> Several reasons:<br /> During the winter months it is more challenging to photograph weddings here in Minnesota. The weather can complicate things such as equipment, batteries and such not performing when it's cold, equipment like lenses, mirrors that can fog when going from cold to a warm building. <br /> Daylight hours are much less than the summer hence more planning and equipment is needed to make photos. <br /> What if a snowstorm takes place? And parking lots are caked with snow and ice? Nice atmosphere to haul equipment!<br /> And I also think discounts can cheapen the artists work.<br /> Just my thoughts.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Personally, I admire a bride that will look for ways to make a wedding more affordable such as purchasing previously owned & gently used wedding gowns, bridesmaids dresses that are functional enough to be used again outside the wedding, home-made invitations, centerpieces, favors, etc... Borrowing a friends Cadillac with the Best man as the driver in place of a limo.</p>

<p>Scheduling a wedding on a Friday or early Sunday afternoon can frequently decrease the venue cost significantly. Many vendors offer off-season rates. Frugal brides are then free to spend more on their photography and post wedding products such as albums and wall prints. Again, check your local market for trends and network with other photographers and vendors.</p>

<p>I did flex a little bit on price last year, but opted for a more relaxed winter 2011 (after 54 weddings in 2010)</p>

<p>I won't straight up offer $2000 off (people talk, your June brides won't be happy that you're quoting way south of what they're in for) but I will throw in a few things to make the deal a little sweeter.</p>