Wedding Critique of the Week 11/15/10

picturesque

<p>This week's image was taken by Danzel C.<br /><br />This is Part 2 of Wedding Photo of the Week. You can see all submissions in the thread with that title. In your critiques - include what you would do to improve the shot or why the shot is perfect as it is.<br /><br />Remember that this is not a contest. Sometimes an image will be a winning image and sometimes an image that needs some help. Try not to just say "great shot" but explain why it works. Or - "Doesn't do it for me" without explaining why.<br /><br />The photographer up for critique for this week should remember that the comments expressed each week are simply "opinions" and the effort and focus of these threads are to learn and to take images to another level. There will be times where the critique is simply members pointing out why the shot works which is also a way for others to learn about what aspects contribute to a good wedding photo. In reading all critiques -- you may agree or disagree with some points of view - but remember that there are varying approaches and often no right or wrong answer.</p>

<p>Danzel's Notes: groom checking out bride while she shows off dress. canon 5d, 70-200 2.8 IS</p><div>00XhNf-303121584.jpg.5ca4ef1cc47c614730b4c17fcd7597df.jpg</div>

<p>hey mine got chosen! a little more background on the image...i asked the bride to show off her dress and the groom was checking her out but not in the image. i just asked him to sit on the stairs and check her out from there. it was getting dark so this was a relatively slow shutter speed for the focal length. i believe the rest of the specs were iso 800, f3.2, and 1/25th, with a bit of on camera flash</p>

<p>I do like the somewhat triangular nature to the composition where the bride's head, the groom's head, and the dress, all work to tie the image together. Likewise, the groom's direction of looking helps keep the viewers eye coming back to the bride.</p>

<p>However, as much as I like the emotion of the image very much, but there are two relatively minor issues that my eye keeps coming to. First is the trash bin (or whatever the box is to the left of the groom), and the large tree truck growing out of the groom's head. I think by taking two steps to the left and recomposing, the image would be much stronger.</p>

<p>Overall, a really nice image, but that one that is improved by paying better attention to the background elements that seeped into the composition.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree with Keith that a couple of steps to the left would have given you a better angle. I'm also bothered by the "crotch shot" of the groom. Although the placement of his hands helps, taking a moment to position him would have helped the image a good deal. As usual, I'm wanting a tad more flash for fill :-)</p><div>00XhYo-303285584.jpg.d2f9c0e4dbd2a68e2f7ccd7c7993f45d.jpg</div>

<p>David, I am not sure about increasing the Flash Fill too much more on this one.<br />The image looked quite compressed to my eye . . . so I had a peek at the EXIF – it is shot at 120mm on a 5D (my guess is 70 to 200/2.8L IS USM?)</p>

<p>So I reckon we were about 30ft from the Bride when that shot was taken; and the Groom maybe 10ft – 15ft behind her?<br />It is starting to get pretty dark at F/3.2 @ 1/25s @ ISO800 and that little Flash on the camera is working very hard – even at ISO800.<br />It is about the time of night where Flash Fill can easily become Flash Key – my bet is that as the Flash becomes more towards the Key – the Groom is going to go into his Cave of Darkness . . . because of the Flash Fall off.</p>

<p>I am not saying it is impossible to fill a bit more – I am just saying that it is the time of evening when the light is changing VERY quickly and if we want the Ambient Evening Light to be the Key – then it is probably SAFER to use LESS flash than more – especially when the TWO subjects are in different planes and quite a space between them.</p>

<p>What do you reckon?</p>

<p>+++</p>

<p>I don’t like the rubbish bin – I would edit that out also.<br />And yes two steps to the left - I agree.<br />The tree out of the Groom's head would drive me insane (more nuts than what I am already) - that was the first thing I noticed - (sorry) - but that's the heritage of tutelage under a Pommy W&P Photographer who SCREAMED (literally) about "things" growing out of heads. . . Hope Laurel isn't a Pom.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p><em>"I am not saying it is impossible to fill a bit more – I am just saying that it is the time of evening when the light is changing VERY quickly and if we want the Ambient Evening Light to be the Key – then it is probably SAFER to use LESS flash than more – especially when the TWO subjects are in different planes and quite a space between them. What do you reckon?" -WW</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Yes, With the diminishing light it can be more difficult to get the flash balanced with the ambient light and it would require some shutter drag. By moving a few steps to the left however, you can get a better angle that eliminates the trash bin and you can also decrease the relative distance between the camera and the groom....allowing for less flash fall-off and a closer POF to both the bride and the groom. Also by moving left, you can have the groom flip the leg positions (his right leg up a step and the left down a step) and now you're shooting him more from a side angle and you've eliminated the straight on crotch shot.</p>

<p>thanks for the comments! i'll admit, i totally missed the tree out the guy's head. definitely a watch out for next time. and if i remember correctly there was another garbage can just out of my frame on the right and my position was chosen to NOT include that one which looked worse. there were garbage cans everywhere. maybe i should have move the can in addition to a step to the left. dave - i like the "snap" you added. william, you are about right with your estimated distances from what i remember. and the light was indeed changing FAST. actually i'm surprised it came out that sharp at 1/25s with a focal length of 120mm and handheld, even with the 70-200 2.8 IS. i took more at a higher shutterspeed but this was my favorite.</p>

<p>Danzel . . . yes. when I was crunching the numbers I thought about 1/25s with the Bride at 12ft to 15 ft and 120mm on a 5D: there are two issues - the camera shake and the subject movement considering she is displaying the gown thus - I reckon you were at the limits for both, even with IS.<br>

So your Shutter Timing is good (top of the hand movement for the Gown) and /or your Instruction and Rapport is good - you should be very happy with all of those elements. Bravo!<br>

The tree issue: . . . bloody Landscape Gardeners, no concept of Wedding Photography - it would have been better if it were planted two steps to the left!<br>

Don't get me started on other Public Venue Photography Chaos: Garbage Bins . . . Parked Cars . . . Litter . . . Stray Dogs without leashes . . . Screaming three year olds . . . Sticky Beakers . . . <br>

Sheesh the things we put up with !</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p> </p>