Contax ST

<p>Any lens for the C/Y mount will fit on the ST. If it says Contax on it and looks relatively modern, then chances are it will fit. There were some other Yashica lenses but I'm guessing you want to stick to Zeiss?<br>

First you should know there are 2 main sets of lenses. The first and older one is called "AE" and the later ones are called "MM". The difference is that the MM versions let you use modes like Tv and P where the camera will select the aperture for you. The ST has these modes so for full compatibility you would want an MM lens. If you don't need that feature then an AE lens will work just fine and mount just fine too. You can tell the difference with the MM ones having the smallest aperture number on the ring printed in green.</p>

<p>Next up is the difference in place of manufacture. There were German and Japanese made lenses in both AE and MM versions. They are called AEG, AEJ, MMG, and MMJ. I think you'll be able to work out what is what ;) There are less MMG lenses because production moved to Japan in the later years.<br>

Only the place of manufacture changes and the lens is still the same performance wise etc. Snobs will say that German stuff is built better but I'll leave that up to you to decide.</p>

<p>As for the other acronyms, C/Y is Contax/Yashica. This is the name of the mount. I can't remember exactly but I think Contax had a contract with Yashica to make cameras and stuff hence the name. Later they were bought out by Kyocera.<br>

MC I'm guessing is multi-coated. I think all C/Y lenses are T* coated so no worries there.<br>

RTS3 is a camera. The last "pro" body of the Contax line. It was huge and very capable. There were previous RTS and RTSII cameras too. The RTS stands for "real time system", basically it means fast and smooth operation for the user. Its used for the top of the line cameras.</p>

<p>Problems with the ST are mainly with the rewind mech. If you hear a high pitched sound when you engage the rewind switch, then you should be careful. Also the finder LEDs displaying the aperture can go faulty. Make sure the value matches with the value on the lens. Also with no lens mounted, it should read 1.2.</p>

<p>As for must have lenses, its a personal choice but I would/did go for a 25/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 combo. The 50 is a legendary lens and cheap so there is no real excuse to go without one. The 85 is also very highly praised as a portrait lens. The 25 is nice as a wide angle. I don't like 28mm lenses. Performance wise there seem to be people that don't like the 25. I like it because it has character.</p>

<p>Contax SLRs had stellar build quality (the Aria aside), but there were rumours that the electronics were dodgy in a number of models (like the Leica Rs, curiously). Not sure how justified they were - never had any trouble with my RTS II.</p>

<p>The 50mm f1.7 was reckoned to be just as sharp as the f1.4, by the way, and can be found much cheaper on ebay etc. if you don't need the extra speed</p>

<p>Great write-up, Chuk - just the kind of help that makes this forum such a nice place.<br /><br />One comment - tongue in cheek, sort of: You wrote "<strong>If it says Contax on it and looks relatively modern..</strong>.". My Planar 50/1.7 in C/Y mount only says Carl Zeiss on it - not Contax :-) But that was the only fault, I could find - again: Very nice of you to take your time.<br /><br />Oh, and the 50/1.7 really *is* a very nice lens. I use mine on a Yashica FX-3. I paid 7 USD for the camera and 35 USD for the lens :-)<br /><br />Soeren</p><div>00Xgfl-302489584.jpg.f3c0a1705dddc73a13c1af4d3d690c7d.jpg</div>

<p>Ah, I thought they said Contax on the lenses somewhere, I must have gotten it mixed with CZ ;)<br /> The MTF charts and all data can be found on the Zeiss support page here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.zeiss.com/photo">http://www.zeiss.com/photo</a></p>

<p>Go to Service and Support->Download Center->Historical Data Sheets and you will see the Contax-Yashica lenses all listed up. The PDFs contain an MTF chart and other info.<br>

I've never really looked for other info since I am not into all the testing stuff but since the Contax lenses are quite popular with DSLR users now, there are probably a good few tests and user reviews around on the Canon etc forums.</p>

<p>Hi James,<br>

This old post below by me may be of interest:</p>

<p>Just to say, I have been using, buying & selling most of the Yashica and Contax C/Y lenses for the last 8 years or so. There are some posts with incorrect info here, so to correct...<br>

When the Contax RTS system first appeared, almost all the first range of lenses were made in West Germany...only slightly later did Zeiss start out sourcing SOME of the Zeiss lenses to the Yashica factory in Japan. After a fairly short time, most of the lesser Contax lenses were made solely in Japan, with the more exotic lenses still made in Germany. But there are lenses which 'buck the trend' so to speak.<br>

Some people seem to think all the earlier AE lenses were made in Germany and all the later MM lenses made in Japan...this is also incorrect. Many AE ones were also made in Japan and also many of the later MM lenses made in Germany.<br>

Examples:<br>

50/1.4: very early AE ones were German made, slightly later AE and all MM were Japan made.<br>

25/2.8: early AE were German, later MM were both Japan & German.<br>

18/4: early AE were German whilst later MM were both Japan & German.<br>

28/2: All AE & MM only made in Germany.<br>

28/2.8: Small run of very early AE German, almost all AE & all MM Japan only.<br>

35/2.8: All AE & MM seem to be Japan only...I am not aware of any German ones.<br>

45/2.8: Some very early AE German, almost all AE & all MM are Japan.<br>

85/1.4: Early AE German, later MM both Germany & Japan.<br>

85/2.8: AE are both German & Japan, MM are German only..never come across a Japan MM one.<br>

135/2.8: All AE and MM seem to be Japan only.<br>

15/3.5: Only ever made in Germany and only in AE.<br>

21/2.8: Only ever made in MM and all were Japan made.<br>

So, there is no real pattern...I have a complete list of all the Contax AE & MM lenses and where they were made...from much research.<br>

Of the Yashica lenses, I would say they are excellent and often superb and are possibly one of the all time over looked lens makers. If you want DIRT CHEAP and excellent, try ML 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.7, 50/2, 135/2.8C, 200/4C. Slightly more expensive but also well worth buying are 21/3.5, 24/2.8, 55/2.8 macro, 100/3.5 macro (superb lens).<br>

cheers Steve.M. (UK)</p>

<p>Just by way of offering a slightly different 'must have' set, I like the Distagon 2.8/35, whose perspective usually pleases me more than the otherwise stellar 2.8/28. Nobody should be without one of the 50mm Planars, whether in f/1.4 or f/1.7 configurations. For what they are, being outstanding, they are cheap enough to buy both, which I did. It's relatively rare, but the 3.5/100 Sonnar is a superb lens. That's my trio recommendation.</p>

<p>Take Steven's advice on the Yashica ML lenses seriously. I have all those he mentions except the 100mm, and they are excellent. There's no way I could justify the 21mm Distagon, but the YML 3.5/21 was about 1/8th the price, and it's a beauty. </p>

<p> </p>