Has Canon discontinued imprinting date code in 70-200 f/2.8L II ?

sankars

<p>I just received my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II from B&H. No date code, anywhere. Perhaps there is a new date code system imbedded in the new serial number as mentioned earlier. However there is nothing that I can see in either the 10 digit serial number nor on the longer 26 digit serial number (on the box and receipt) that resembes the old date code format.</p>

<p>Lets start the rumor that Canon has adopted a new secret date code structure. They are using military supercomputers to bury the date code in a specially encrypted format based on Pi in the 26 digit serial number. (That would keep some geeks entertained for a while).</p>

<p>Personally, I like the date code. True, alone it is a fairly useless piece of information, but combined with other data, it helps to paint a picture of the history of the lens. Besides it was alway fun to impress some Canon newcomer with your secret translation abilities.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Canon has stopped date coding / date stamping lenses !<br>

Here is a response from Canon I sent as I have just got a 70-200 2.8 with no date code . I bought Feb 2011<br>

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EF<br /> 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. We value you as a Canon customer and<br /> appreciate the opportunity to assist you.<br /> <br /> Canon has stopped putting a date stamp on new lenses. I apologize for<br /> any confusion this may have caused. You will know if you have a<br /> refurbished unit by the appearance of a tiny center punch divot next to<br /> the serial number. If there is no such mark on your lens, then you do<br /> not have a refurbished unit.<br /> <br /> Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EF<br /> 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.<br /> <br /> Thank you for choosing Canon.<br /> <br /> Sincerely,<br /> <br /> Dirk<br /> Technical Support Representative</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I really do not know why Canon stopped the date code. It is nice to know when you buy or sell a lens, when you are crossing a border and an easy way to prove you did not bought the lens abroad. With a three year old lens for example. The prices go up like crazy and a little nice service is stopped.</p>