82mm filter suggestion for Canon's 16-35 f/2.8 II

sankars

UV filter: B+W 82mm MRC UV (010).

CPL: If you plan to use it in bad weather, get the Kaesemann version, otherwise go for the `normal' MRC version.

If you plan to use the lens on film/fullframe at 16mm, a `slim' version might be advisable for the CPL, but I wouldn't bother with the UV.

Because of the big (82mm) filter size, normal thickness filters don't cause visible vignetting on the 16-35. CPL filters are thicker though, so they might (though I don't speak from experience, best way is to test it: stack two filters, set lens wide-open at 16mm and shoot a blank wall with and without filters at the same exposure settings)

As for the second question: CPL filters are two layers of glass with polarizing film sandwiched in between. Under very extreme conditions, with normal filters, moisture might get between the two layers, and render the filter useless.

B+W Kaeseman filters are made with special cement between the layers to prevent this from happening.

Note though that I got that from the marketing speak from B+W. I also have normal filters that I've used in the rain on occasion, and I've never had problems. But if you want to make sure...