this does seem like a bit of a misjudgement on my friends part. The

plan is to do the formal shots with the 5x4 camera (58mm, 90mm and

150mm lenses)using 5x4" B&W negs and 6x7cm colour transparency film

in a roll-film back and then use a couple of 35mm manual focus SLRs

for backup and candid shots.

Is this a really stupid idea or has anybody else done this and got

away with it? Any advice?

John,

It's probably attributable to the fact that most non-photographers see ALL types of photographers as simply photographers, with no consideration of specialty.

If you feel comfortable doing it, by all means, go ahead. If I were you I would have them hire a pro for the job and shoot your own photos as secondary to the pro's. They're probably going to want albums, reprints, Etc., and it's going to be a pain in the a** for you if you're not hooked up with sources for all that jazz. Your typical "pro" lab is not the place to get wedding printing done.

On quite a few occasions, friends have asked the same of me. My response

has always been to decline, explaining the cost for me to do the the formal

photographs (especially with a 4x5!) would be significantly higher than

someone already set up to do so. The cost of renting the lighting equipment

alone will be huge! Also, I don't know about you, but I have no idea what is

expected in a wedding album. If you don't do what is expected, you may risk

them being angry or dissapointed with you.

On the other hand, I always offer to take "candid" B&W photos or perhaps a LF

portrait of the couple--this I do with no hesitation.

Basic wedding photography not particularly demanding except for the fact that screwing one up could be a major source of agony for a lot of people. If you decide to do it, and there is no reason why you can't, be sure to shoot many Polaroids.

I'm not a wedding guy either but I have shot them for friends from time to time and wound up having a lot of fun in the process.

John, unless you've shot several weddings I recommend you leave the wedding photography to the pros. It is too important a job to risk a screw-up, but by all means take your 4x5 and do those formal portraits. The Pro shouldn't mind is those are the wishes of the couple gettin' hitched. In fact, if you've got a speed or crown graphic(or even a 35 loaded with B&W) bring that along for candids before and after the ceremony. It is surprising what kind of results you'll get, but for the task of "Wedding Photographer" let a Pro do his thing, that way you won't have to explain to the couple things like what happens when you forget to reverse the darkslide after taking a shot "see, that double exposure is really kinda artsy!", or "darn that Ilex has a mind of its own" or "those old photomics do tend to act up!" Besides, as mentioned above,the Pro has the lights and lighting (especially if its in a church with stained glass windows) can take longer to learn than most marriages last these days. Cheers!

Heh, besides the advice to have them hire a pro, I'd say ditch the 4x5 and go with all 35mm. Even outdoors you're likely to want fill flash. I suppose autoflash should work with a 4x5, but have you done it before? If you do use 4x5, figure out the fastest way to do it. Maybe prefocus at a particular distance, etc. There are many different formal shots that are generally expected and generally they are expected to be done quickly so people can get on with their big day. Maybe just do one formal of the bride with 4x5. That's the one most likely to get enlarged big anyway...

Personally, I think it's crazy...

Good luck...

Your posting is typical of so many: full of info about the equipment you own, and little about the wedding itself. Will it be large, elaborate affair, or medium sized, or small? Will just "getting away with it" suffice for you, or the principals? If it was YOUR wedding, would YOU want a newbie to shoot it? If you should happen to mess up, are you prepared to deal with it? Would you still be invited as a guest if you declined? Is this a close friend? Were money and expectations discussed? If it turns out to be a rather large, formal affair, do you think you're up to it? If so, go for it;it'll be a good learning experience if little else.

Be prepared to loose a friend. Weddings are extremely emotionally charged events with not only looking after the bride and grooms requests, but the immediate family will try and get you to do some "extra" shots just since your there and they are all there. If something goes wrong you can not reshoot. Leave it to the pros who do this for a living. I did commercial/industrial and editorial for years professionally and I wouldn't touch a wedding with a 10 foot pole! I would rather work with the snottyest (sp) model any day rather than do a wedding. They may love your landscapes, but really all they are doing is trying to save some money at your emotional expense.

Be smart and respectfully decline.

Eric

I Did some 4x5's last Wedding I photographed I used the KISS method

Keep It Simple Stupid, all a used was a Crown Graphic a 138mm Graphlex lens, FP4 film (vey forgiving stuff) I took 6 outdoor shots

of the Couple a RR Car and a Church in the Background. I produced very sharp 16x20 prints using my Durst L1200 and a Nikon 135mm

El-Nikor Proccess lens I got given by the Pro lab I use it covers 4x5 and is real sharp.

If you Email me I can send you a Scan of the proof of the best shot.

I could have done stuff with my Arca Swiss and lenses from 65mm to

300mm but the more complicated you make it the more chance you have

of stuffing it all up.

weddings are pure evil on a rookie...

run away john, as fast as you can. and all the misjudgement falls squarely on you john. yer friend's ignorance of what you do is on you too, his confidence in your abilities and passion for photography shouldn't misguide you further. lay folk shouldn't be expected to understand how diverse photography can be nor how deadly the wedding photo part is. so stop while you've got the chance. and your post gives enough clues as to your ignorance of wedding photography too. transparency film? BW plates?

run john, run screaming...

me

p.s. it's not that you can't do it... but if i were you, i'd be talking to yer friend about the costs of renting monolights/flashmeter, buying lots of color print film, renting a couple more rollfilm backs... and the risks of not getting it on yer first attempt. if you decide to do it... start making a list of required wedding shots(both from your friend and from a pro; ie shots that sell)... hire an assistant that's savvy enough to shoot your 35mm for second-unit candids, because you're gonna be busy. start mapping it out as best you can with tons of advice from experienced wedding photogs. if you shoot bw plates, prepare to eat it, they probably won't sell at all.

this happened to me too...my youngest brother asked the same for his wedding.... after looking at all business sides of photographing a wedding, I declined. On top of having the skills of the wedding photographers you will have to deal with everything after the wedding (processing films, prints, album etc etc.. at reasonable cost)... What I did is doing some shots in MF in B&W.... and they love it because it's different from what they got from the pros ....

Don't do it!!! I have done a number of weddings successfully. However, they are very stressful, things move very fast, the lighting is always bad, they are never on schedule, you need to be very good at using flash units and lights, and you need to have backups for absolutely everything. You couldn't pay me to take my 4x5 cameras or transparency film to a wedding (unless the bride and groom were both photographers, asked specifically for this, and were very understanding).

Why don't you offer to use your 4x5 to take some pictures of the couple a few weeks before the wedding. You can do some romantic shots at the beach or the mountains or wherever you like to do scenics where you live. This way, you can take the time you will need in a setting you are used to and probably have a good time in the process.

Explain to the couple that you would be glad to take some pictures at the wedding, but you should not be the main photographer because wedding photography is a specialty that takes experience,knowledge and equipment that you don't have. They should understand.

Hi John,

I shoot many weddings each year, but I would not consider using the LF gear for them. So, yes you're mad for wanting to use LF, but not for wanting to do the wedding. I use 35mm exclusively, only because I don't have MF gear.

Weddings are not hard: The couple are the looking better than they are ever likely to again, and they want their photos taken. They are happier than they are ever likely to be again (personal experience here ;-) ) and once the ceremony is over, they are very relaxed. They will rely on you to make the afternoon fun though, and this is why you should leave the LF gear at home. Do you think you'll be able to maintain a happy disposition while you are stressing about the time it is taking you to compose and focus the LF gear, deal with up to 20 people in a group, while not putting the wrong dark slide in? I know I couldn't!

Wedding photos are about people, not equipment. You have to engage and interact with the people involved. You must make the shoot enjoyable with your personality. If you don't think you can project a sense of fun for 3 hours, you will struggle. Using labour intensive equipment makes it that much harder to stay "cool".

I suggest you do the photos and stay with the roll film formats. Then you may find you'll enjoy it as much as they will!

Regards,

Graeme

PS. Those respondants above who are suggesting that the "Pro" photographer will be happy to let you take photos may not be familiar with how he/she intends to make money from the wedding. If you are competing with that person for sales, they won't be happy! The Pro often won't let any other cameras be used at the wedding, let alone one that is obviously going to produce the quality that LF is capable of.

If you haven't shot at any weddings in the past, you are more likely to keep your friend if you play "second fiddle" to someone who has some experience with it.

Weddings and receptions go on for hours, but all the key events in the story pass by in just a few seconds.

The pro may miss some of those moments and your pictures will be highly valued by the couple.

Use something like Portra 400 and an automatic flash.

It's not about "getting away with it." It's about being certain that you can produce the pictures- there are no reshoots.

Photographing any one time event is something to be done with extreme trepidation ....esp if you have little experience.If you mess it up you will be in REAL HOT WATER.The only way I do these things is to say no, at which time they usually plead a bit ....then I give them the lowdown.I tell them to hire a wedding pro who can do the job 10x's better than I can at 10x's less effort.I say that the only way I maybe can do this is if they are totally broke and have no other recourse or dont care about the photos much, leaving me to do what I want with it. I make this real real clear.No smiling here.I scare them. Then if the brave couple wants to go through with it, I reluctently consent,but only if it is a relaxed, low key wedding.If it is a high pressure situation I stay away. Things can go south very fast... esp if they are not relatives.If you decide to do it, leave the 4x5 at home,use 35mm and or MF.Or use the 4x5 for a few special photos and let the pro do the rest.

I've been talked into that a couple of times. One of my friends

even requested that I use the 5x7. See for fun:

http://vision.caltech.edu/gudrun/wp/engl_gruppe.html

I got away with it each time (in the sense that the couple was

pleased), but it was extremely stressful.

<ul>

<li>

The only pictures done on LF were the group pictures and the

architectural pictures with people inside the church

(http://vision.caltech.edu/gudrun/wp/engl_trauung.html)

LF works well for those, and is really a bonus, since there is a lot of detail, and it is very static.

<li>

They used a professional studio for their formal photos. Remember

that one needs to be good at this specialized style, and also

and fast (there is not much time available on

the wedding day). You also need adequate lighting.

<li>

The rest, I used 35mm photojournalistic style. I wouldn't do it without an AF camera with a good flash system.

</ul>

Whatever you do, make sure expectations are understood.

John,

Think about it. It is a high stress job, you get one shot at it. If you photgraphy the wedding, make a list of all the images you are going to take. If possible get the fromals ahead of the wedding,if not get the Bride and family and The groom and family, this will give you more time . If it is a church wedding, you will be limited on when you can use flash, where you can shoot from during the service. Talk with the church staff for help then spend some time at the location to see what will work for you. You will only have so much time after the service to get the formals done. Detail is important, get the guest book, flowers etc. Look through wedding photgraphy books for what the" most have shots are" and then burn lots of film for the rest. Have back up equipment for everything. I would suggest using only 35mm, you will need to much light to carry the depth of field for formals with 4x5. This is thier specail day and your job will be to tell the story with film.

Good Luck,

Robert

Here's what happened to me: My aunt (late 60s) asked me to shoot her wedding and I agreed. I brought my lights, which I have seldom used and with which I am strictly an amateur. I brought my roll-film back for the Toyo. I got set up for the bride and groom, and for a couple of photos with up to five people in them, the most they had told me about beforehand. I discovered at the church that I had misplaced my loupe. I set up the lights wrong, so the wall behind them was blown out in several of the shots. After I'd set up and gotten ready to take photos with a minimum of messing around, other families came in and said 'Hey, can you take a picture of us, too?' Some of the shots included up to 20 people, requiring me to completely readjust, including switching lenses. I darn near took every photo with my lens set on M instead of X. I was a hot, sweating wreck when it was over, and the photos were mediocre. Much later, in time and beer, I was able to relax, but the photos will always be sub-par. And I've actually done a couple of other weddings (results, fortunately, were considerably better or I'd have said no to this request).

John,

I shoot a lot of Large Format and I also shoot about 3 weddings per month either stills or video. When I'm shooting stills I use 35mm equipment (EOS) with auto-everything. Even so, the pressure to get things done quickly and correctly is enormous. I admire the shooters who are still doing weddings with non-TTL medium format cameras, it tkaes a great deal of skill, speed, and photographic knowledge to be able to pull that off. My first reaction to trying to shoot a wedding with LF is "No way!!"

My biggest concern would be the time it takes to make photographs with the LF camera, since formals are taken either before the ceremony or between the ceremony and the reception. Brides ususally schedule their day pretty tightly and don't like to get behind.

However, I think that a LIMITED number of LF shots would not be a large problem, as long as you explained to the bride and groom about the extra time and expense that a LF shoot would entail. Be very conservative in your time estimates and insist on doing only a few shots with the LF camera. Make the decisions in advance of the wedding day as to which shots they want to have on the LF and stick to it. I would recommend LF for the bride/groom portrait, any large group shots (more than 10 people), and the bride by herself. Keep it to less than 10 LF exposures if possible.

You will need to have at least one assistant who is has knowledge of large-format photography and who can help you set up the camera, handle film holders, etc. Don't try to do more than one location for LF, and try to minimize any lens changes or framing changes. That will make things go much faster.

Back-up EVERY LF shot with the 35mm camera, just in case.

Consider using color negative film like Portra or Fuji NPS or NPH rather than transparency film. These portrait films will be much more forgiving of exposure errors and are generally designed for wedding photography.

Overall, I think it's a big risk to use LF for a wedding. However, I think people enjoy having their photos made with a large-format camera and they may feel like it makes the occasion a little more special. As long as everyone understands the risks vs. the rewards and is willing to try it, I think it might turn out to be a positive experience.

In the past, wedding photogs used 4x5 Speed Graphics, used bulbs for flash and got the job done.

Heck, even Linhof had a 5x7 hand-holdable camera, sort of like a big Speed Graphic, let alone their 4x5 versions.

The had mobility, could take pictures reasonably fast, and large negs for crisper photo's.

If you use one, don't forget to wear the fedora hat...might as well look the part!

John:

Your getting advise on several levels. The Professional and the person like yourself. I have been in the same situation and have gone from film to digital. I have been asked to do a friends wedding 1000 miles away from me in Baton Rouge, November 9th. I think you have to look at the wedding itself. If you are doing a wedding that has a cost of $10,000 to $50,000 on it, do not be the primary photographer. If it is very small, low cost they are probably asking you to do it, becuase they don't have the money to hire a professional. I'm making my photographic talents and photos my gift to them. Being digital, I know what I'm getting as I go along. I'm confident that they will have far more with me taking their photos than they would will out me. Hope this helps.

Jerry