Nikon LS 8000ED and Mac OSX 10.5

<p>Hi<br>

I'm thinking of getting a used Nikon LS 8000ED. As Nikon don't support OSX 10.5 I will probably use Vuescan for its driver and maybe software. I'd also like to use Nikon Scan, (as I think Vuescan won't run via Photoshop) the latest version being 4.0.2 ('07) for the Mac. Will this run under OSX 10.5? I don't really want to splash out on Silverfast.<br>

Thanks Geoff</p>

<p>Nikon software will run on OS-X 10.5.X (current 10.5.8 on my PPC), but only by luck as Nikon quit updates and upgrades with 10.4 and only that because they had to accommodate all the customers. Personally I think you'll find Silverfast quite good (ok, I use it on two scanners).</p>

<p>Thanks for your responses.<br>

Nick, do you use the driver installed from the NikonScan software then, and is your Mac PPC or Intel?<br>

Scott, I'll think I'll give it a go as I'm running 10.5.8 on my G5, if it starts misbehaving I'll plump for Vuescan, as Silverfast is quite expensive.</p>

<p>Nick, if the Nikon application won't run then there are some things to try. You have to uninstall it and then install Nikon <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-7">Scan 4</a> and then the update on the installed version. This was the instructions from Nikon and it worked for me under both OS-X upgrades. That said, however, Nikon says it's incompatible with 10.5 and 10.6, <a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14421">their statement</a>.</p>

<p>I have SF Ai IT8 Studio 6.6.r2 and like it more than the others. For one each application is developed for that brand and model of scanner and scans considerably faster than other applications. It also does a full scan for the pre-scan so you're actually seeing the resuits with your adjustments than a pre-scan to scan again (Nikon's software). I will say the workflow takes some adjustment as it's not always intuitive.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

• 4 years later...