Safari operators in Tanzania (Bondei)

sholzer

I will be going on a trip to Tanzania and Kenya this winter for a

little more than 3 weeks and I am currently trying to plan my

safaris. I have been in contact with a number of operators, and one

in particular called Bondei has given me a very good quote. The

company has a fairly nice webpage (http://www.bondei-tours.dk), and

has been very straightforward to deal with so far.

However, I am a little skeptical because I can't find any information

online about them. I was hoping that someone here knows something

about them, and could share that information.

Also, if anyone has been to Tanzania and/or Kenya recently and could

recommend another inexpensive but good company I would be very

interested in any suggestions. Keep in mind though that I am on a

limited budget, so although I recognize a dedicated photo safari

company would be better, I simply can't afford to pay triple the

price.

Thanks,

Steven

I have been to both Kenya and Tanzania in separate trips. For Kenya, the East African Ornithological Safaris, Ltd. (EAOS) run by the Turner family in Nariobi is quite well known. I have talked to a number of people who traveled with them over the years and everybody is quite happy with them. Well known nature photographers such as Frans Lanting and Joe McDonald use them also. They have some experienced drivers who are familiar with the needs of wildlife photographers. EAOS owns some extra-long Land Rovers that have 3 rows of seats in the back, so 3 photographers with plenty of big lenses can fit in the back and each one will have access to both sides of the vehicle for photo opportunities.

<P>

For Tanzania, my trip was arranged by <A HREF="http://www.uniquesafaris.com">Unique Safaris</A> in Arusha and they are quite good as well, but the tourism industry in Tanzania is not quite as established as it is in Kenya althouth Tanzania is quickly catching up. American photographer Boyd Norton is closely associated with Unique Safaris. At the time I went (early 2000), their Land Rovers were not the extra long type, unfortunately.

I just moved from Tanzania after living there 3 years. If you want the usual tourist fare then the places you've mentioned are OK. If you want to see more of the country, especially less-visited parks like Ruaha NP then get in touch with Foxtreks. Ruaha is great because almost no one goes there and you don't typically get in line to see a lion like in the Serengeti. Here is one of their sites: http://www.ruahariverlodge.com/ And their email: brucefox@tanzaniasafaris.info

They have lodges/camps at the coast, in 2 parks, and in the mountains. I've stayed with them several times and even did some photography for their brochures. Check out my own web site to see more of Ruaha NP: www.jonkhill.com

-Jon Hill

Hi Steven -

I just returned after spending 3 months in eastern and southern Africa.

A friend of mine who lives in Moshi put me in touch with a guide there - this guy, Temba, is very experienced and has worked for 10+ years as a guide in the northern Tanzanian parks. Recently, he has started to work for himself. I used him for a private tour in Tarangire and was very satisfied.

For a few dollars more than the generic $85-per-night-camping tour, you can have your own custom photographic safari, with bush camps at the best spots in the park.

If you'd like, drop me an email at vkalia00 at yahoo dot com, and i'll give you the contact info of my friend in Moshi. He can arrange the details for you. If you want to do a lodge safari, Temba can probably arrange a discounted deal at the lodges as well (though I cannot tell you how good the price will be).

For Kenya, if you are on a budget, the camping safaris arent the greatest for photography: you usually camp outside the park and generally miss the golden hour. Savuka - www.savuka.com - does arrange a relatively inexpensive lodge safari at $120 pp/p night (camping for $60 per person per night -- and a pretty good affair, considering the price).

Vandit