NYC Marathon -- comments, notes for improvement?

raybrizzi

<p>I never had much success taking pictures of the marathon runners until this year, when I discovered shooting at 1600 ISO for regular shots, now that noise reduction is getting a lot better in software.<br>

I took 514 shots, whittled them down to 130 interesting ones, and down to 46 that I posted here. <br /><br />The first ones were mostly for practice, though they came out well. Then is the front runners, with the timer trucks blocking the way of course.<br>

The rest are the field that follows, which were the most interesting shots, showing the mix of emotions these athletes are running through.<br>

All shots taken with my trusty K-10D at 1600 ISO, at 1/400 at the beginning and moving to 1/640 later, most apertures in the 5.6 to 11 range. Spot metering and focusing, using AF-C.Overall, AF-C worked pretty well about 40 percent of the time, which is pretty impressive since I took most of these at 300mm (450 on 35mm) hand held, and they were moving fast and at many depths in the picture. Sigma 70-300mm f4/5.6.<br>

I have not put these out for ratings or critiques in the regular forum and won't for a week.<br /> Any pentax or general comments welcome.<br>

Slideshow.... http://www.photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=987496<br>

Album.... http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=987496</p>

<p>Just flicking through the first ones: independent of composition, timing etc I would go for much more colour noise reduction; luminance noise doesn't bother me at all, it's colour noise that is not good on the eye. Also, I would really look at aggressively self-editing down to even 5-6 total shots of real quality, which give a feeling to the race and runners.</p>

<p>Hi Ray,<br>

Looks like it was a lovely day. Some of those colors really pop. My favorites are 20, 25 & 26. I find shots of individual competitors more compelling than the broader scene-setting photos or groups of runners. I also like them because they were shot at a wider aperture like 5.6 to soften distracting backgrounds and let us focus on the runner's intensity. That's how I shoot sports generally.</p>

<p>Technically, I find the luminance noise troublesome, but that is fixable with software. When I owned a K10D I was never satisfied with the quality of shots above ISO 400.</p>

<p>I'd recommend using camera support next time, even a lightweight Ultrapod II would help with making these sharper. The only way I can hand-hold a long, fairly heavy telephoto zoom is with my Canon as it has good IS built into the lens. But that's not perfect either, so I prefer to use a tripod or monopod.</p>

<p>And trying to keep your shutter closer to 1/750 would have been more effective on (for example) no. 29, if you could have opened it up another two stops. That would make the shots sharper.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Ah, a tripod... rather difficult in NYC. first of all, they're illegal without a permit. Secondly, I was behind the metal police barriers, in the crowd, trying to shoot past people waving, clapping, shaking all sorts of inflatable rubber toys, and waving big flags. It was a good experience. 750 was getting too high, and it was shutting the speed lower anyway so I stuck with 640. Lots of light challenges too. some in shadow, some in bright sunlight that was creeping up over the building</p>

<p>Ray,</p>

<p>Although getting a permit is a good idea (it's free and painless), the tripod law is for commercial shoots. however, you could possibly be harassed for having a tripod setup, certainly common sense prevails. Unfortunately not all police officers undestand the laws full, and some might hassle you, but more likely someone will just trip over your setup causing problems for both you and the equipment.</p>

<p>Anyway, in terms of common sense, we were passing through times square this weekend while seeing the musical Memphis (quite good), and I noticed a guy on an center island shooting with a tripod, actually he was in front of the TKTS stair case. I commented to my wife, while I'd love to break my tripod out down here for some HDR, I really worried about someone taking out my camera by tripping over the whole setup. I do love the new pedestrian aspect of Times Square though, very nice, I'm sure it's wonderful in the warm weather with all the tables and chairs! Hopefully it becomes permanent (if it hasn't).</p>

<p>I think the marathon would fall under those not a good idea areas. Though I don't see why a monopod would be a problem.</p>

<p>As far as the photos, definitely go a few stops more open, shutter speed is often a killer in these type of shots. If you aren't going for a definitive motion blur than your shots tend to just look soft, better to either raise the ISO or open the aperture up as much as possible to really get into the action freezing realm.</p>

<p>Yeah, but illegally, and when they get arrested (if it comes to that), most walk out with a $10-20k settlement for a few hours in holding ;-).</p>

<p>I really regret not forcing the issue in Pittsburgh, it's still burning me that I let that cop walk over my rights. I did shock him with (politely, though perhaps with a hint of sarcasm) questioning his authority though, the look on his face was priceless.</p>

<p>I look at it as your benefit that both training and internal NYPD/MTA memos go ignored. FWIW, I've never been hassled in NYC, with the exception of (inside) private buildings or on private property, which of course the owner or maintainer DOES have the right to limit my rights.</p>