Backup P&S camera recommendation

<p>I have a dSLR which I actively use, and have a few good lenses too. I was considering getting a good P&S camera as a backup, and also for using in situations where I am not able to carry or use my dSLR. Any suggestions as to which P&S will be best suited, keeping my goals in mind?</p>

<p>I was considering getting a Leica P&S, choosing from d-lux 5, d-lux 4 (fast lens) or a v-lux 20 (with 25-300mm effective focal length), but am somewhat hesitant of the v-lux since it does not shoot in RAW. I also need a good photo-editing software and I think Leica has Lightroom or Elements included along with a three year warranty on the camera. Any other recommendations for a P&S as a backup camera? Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is the Leica name important? If not so much, consider the Panasonic LX5.</p>

<p>Lots of bantering back and forth in this thread, it could be useful to you. Several good cameras discussed.<br /> http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00XVU1</p>

<p>I've never used Lightroom, but I've used Elements for a few years now. The latest version is a very powerful program.</p>

<p>Greetings. Have you ever looked into the Micro 4/3 systems from Olympus and Panasonic? Their image quality is far above any compact "P&S" camera, with lenses and bodies much lighter than those of a DSLR. Also, with adapters you can even use your Nikkors on them if so inclined. For sample images, please email me and I can provide images taken with a Panny G2. Good luck!</p>

<p>If you want a truly pocketable camera stay away from the large P&S - you will be back where you started carrying around something hanging from your neck and too big to conceal in a pocket. Canon S95 or similar is the way to go, in my opinion.</p>

<p>If you want a "backup" to your DSLR system and you already have some good lenses, then get a cheaper body that is lens compatible. But if you are looking for an "alternative" to your DSLR rather than a backup, a Four-Thirds system from Panasonic or Olympus is the way to go. They are of good build and image quality, and not so expensive that if something gets destroyed you'll be overly heartbroken . But in reality, it's all just a matter of perspective (no pun intended.) Some may say that a Four-Thirds system is not P&S. But when the "other camera" in the garage is a Fuji GX680 or Mamiya RZ67... well, you get the picture.</p>