New Tamron 70-300 DI VC F4-5.6 for semi-pro?

model mayhem gallery

<p>I should probably already know the amnswer to this, but just wanted to confirm. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and sometimes miss the extra length I got with my Canon 30D and 1.6 crop factor. I have been looking at the new Tamron 70-300 with VC. As I get more professional jobs I sometimes feel a little funny not having all L-series lenses like most pros. I only have two the 17-40 F4L and 85 1.2L. However, the lens I absolutely use the most is the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. I have not been able to bring myself to buy the 24-70 F2.8 because I absoultely do not see a $1100 improvement in IQ. With that being said I should upgrade my Sigma 70-200 to the new Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II but that is insanly expensive. I am sure I am going to be a photographer for a while but I don't feel I need L-series lenses to do pro work and the $399 price tag of the Tamron really appeals to me. Would this be a waste of money if I inttent to pursure professional work?</p>

<p>I don't think being a professional is about having the most expensive lenses. It's about paying what it takes to get the right tools for the job. There should be a reason why you want a smaller and lighter lens and are willing to sacrifice maximum aperture for it. If not, think about it a bit more before buying.</p>

Roger said it. It should not really matter "what others are using" Employ the right tool for the job. That tool may or may not have an "L" designation on it.

<p>Question: Do you currently *need* a telephoto lens, or is it a "just in case?" If just in case, I would wait before buying one, possibly rent if necessary. IMO you seem too unsure at the moment to be able to make an objective and pragmatic decision on this purchase, so I would wait a bit before spending.

<blockquote>

<p>and sometimes miss the extra length I got with my Canon 30D and 1.6 crop factor</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is a very well-worn topic but the 30D does not give 'extra reach'. It only crops the image in relation to the 5DII - plus the pixel density is about the same but the 5DII has newer sensor and newer processors. So if that misunderstanding is your only reason for spending money then you can save money by cropping the 5D image. Which brings us onto....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With that being said I should upgrade my Sigma 70-200...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are happy with Sigma+Canon 30D you should also be happy with Sigma+5DII for the reasons above. Would a $400 Tamron <em>really</em> provide a substantial improvement in quality? I doubt it. If anything I would go for the Canon 70-300 IS USM, or the 70-200 F4L (if you don't need IS).<br>

The next signifcant step would be the twice-as-expensive 70-200 f4L IS or the 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS).</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your responses. After reviewing all that has been said I can't say I need this lens it is more of a want because most of the portrait work I do is in the 24-70 range. All the paint is starting to flake off my Sigma and because it is so big and heavy being an F2.8 I don't carry or use it often. I almost always use either flash or studio strobe so speed is not an issue other than low light focusing at F4 -5.6 might be an issue. Getting the extra reach so that I don't have to crop and the Image stabalizing would be assets as none of my lenses are IS. I think the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 and Tamron 70-300 F4 would be a decent combo pack for most of what I do so I think I am going to buy it soon. Everything else I want to upgrade will cost me a LOT more money so this is the cheapest way I can satisfy some kind of an unwarranted upgrade. </p>

<p>I just recieved this lens from Adorama and it is excellent value. I will IMO end sales of the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS or force them to come out with an affordable ring USM design.</p>

<p>Optically it is very good, a notch sharper than my 55-250 IS and my 70-300 DO IS, which it is about to replace. The USD works as well as Canon's ring USM. Focus is quick, positive and accurate.</p>

<p>The VC works as well as it does on my 55-250 (this is a good thing) and better than it does on the 70-300 DO. It is hard to explain but it kind of kicks into action and locks, whereas on the 70-300 DO and other more expensive IS lenses they seem to spin up into action.</p>

<p>Having shot over 120 shots at the weekend and pixel peeping them all, I don't have any concerns at all about the VC or the focus accurracy.</p>

<p>Build quality is equal or better than upper range Canon consumer zooms, no wobbly bits, but a bit below Canon L grade. The zoom ring is smooth and well sized. The focus ring and FTM works as well as a Canon L and better than Canon consumer focus rings with USM.</p>

<p>It also comes with an impressive petal shaped hood that will make you look very professional. If Canon made this lens they would be charging $900 for it, without the hood.</p>

<p>One thing Tamron could have done better is the VC and AF switches are raised rather than recessed and I had an incident where the VC was switched of pulling the camera out of the bag. No doubt this will happen again from time to time.</p>