My first roll with a used 503CW-a few questions

gl5

I just got back my first roll from a recently acquired used 503CW,

and I have a few questions looking at the negatives:

-on the top and bottom of each frame, there are some arrow

triangle shapes coming out of the image frame. There are also

two triangles coming out of the left of each frame. Is this normal?

-i got some overlapping images between frames 2 and 3. the

rest of the roll seems fine, with no overlapping. could this be a

problem, or is it more likely that i messed with the film winder on

the film back? i sort of remember that i may have accidentally

turned it a bit (like half a revolution forward). given that the rest of

the roll is spaced normally, how likely would it be that I have a

problem/defect?

It's normal to see the arrows or dimples at the corners of the frames. It is also very normal (for Hasselblad) to see the two notches or sidways "V"s at the left hand side of the frame. Especially with the two notches on the left side of the frame everyone will know that you used a Hasselblad :-)

When loading film be careful about lining up the mark on the film backing paper to the red triangle near the spool, and don't touch the film crank after winding to number 1, just wind it back enough the fold the crank arm back into its recess.

thanks for the reply. i guess i can't print full frame (with a black

border around the image) without having the dimples show

huh? too bad the hasselblad is not a clean image frame!

i think what might have happened is that i touched the wind

crank after shooting the frame 1. maybe that put my frames out

of alignment. i hope that this is all it is...

Keep an eye on the overlapping negatives problem. It's a known problem with some of the new Hassy backs (A12). I came back from a trip only to find about 8% of my negatives seriously overlapped to the point where they were unusable -- only on one of my two new backs. Luckily I take more than one pic per scene!

If it keeps happening, contact Hasselblad USA and send in the back. Hassy is aware of the problem and they repaired my back without a hitch.

<thanks for the reply. i guess i can't print full frame (with a black border around the image) without having the dimples show huh? too bad the hasselblad is not a clean image frame!>

I have seen many photography books by Hasselblad users with full frame images that show the two "V" notches and well as the corner dimples. Personally the notches don't bother me and I would not have a problem printing full frame (fine art edges, or unfinished borders as they are also called). I used to use a 645 format camera that although it did not have the two Hasselblad "V" notches in the side, the 645 frame still had the dimples in the corners.

"-on the top and bottom of each frame, there are some arrow triangle shapes coming out of the image frame."

I have never seen this in a well adjusted back. In conjunction with your odd spacing problem, I have to think the light seals are shot & need replacing... no big deal; happens to all backs at some point.

so why do they put the little Vs there anyway? as a new Hassy

user they kind of annoy me. it just seems like pure vanity on

Victor Hasselblads part if indeed they are only there as an

homage to his first name.

The two triangles on the left side are normal and are there to identify that the picture was taken by an Hasselblad.

As told in the last answer, many photographer (over all the pros) are used to add different notches for each magazines they have so that in case something is wrong thy can identify which magazine have the problem (assuming that each magazine shell is used with its insert).