New F1 (F1N)

david_thrower

<p>Hi Everyone<br>

It's been a few months since I last posted on the FD forum - great to see it's still going strong.<br>

I've been buying and selling cameras and lenses over the past few months for fun and to get some pocket money and I've found a few nice lenses at boot sales that I've cleaned up and sold on for a reasonable profit.<br>

I built up enough in my Paypal account to buy an F1N that I got at a good price on Ebay with the intention of selling it on after getting in serviced. I've owned a couple of F1n's in the past but never the new F1.<br>

Here's the catch - now I've used it there's no way I can sell it!. I've still got my knackered old A1 and my beloved T90 which I can't ever sell but now I've got this F1N body too in my camera bag!.<br>

So I just wondered if you guys have ever done this - bought something for the short term or to sell on only to find it's just too good to part with?.<br>

I have to say that I think the F1N is my favourite camera of all time - being a full time photographer I've been lucky to use a lot of kit over the years but this one is my favourite!.</p>

<p>I am a big fan of the T90 as it probably has the best handling of ANY Canon SLR made - indeed I own a pair of them. However, I still have a great attraction for the F1 as it probably feels as good as any camera I have used. It has a tactile quality that is not matched by other bodies - again I have two New F1s and an F1 and there is no way I could part with them. As John says add to your New F1. The speedfinder prism is a great accessory (especially if you can find the rubber hood) as is the AE prism. Bothe the motor and the winder add Shutter priority - although of the two I use the Winder more often. I've posted this shot before but I will do so again as I like my F1s</p>

<div>00Xd7o-298745784.jpg.124d772cfe5805d6dc0303e5f9441393.jpg</div>

<p>David, my fondness for the F-1 and F-1N is similar to Philip's. While I use my T90, 1V and 5DII bodies more than I use my F-1's, there's something especially satisfying about using the older bodies. After dealing with all the automation of the DSLR, there's an almost Zen-like simplicity to using an F-1 in manual. I feel more connected to the process of making images.</p>

<p>I also agree with John and Philip's suggestion that you augment your F-1N with some of its extensive array of accessories: viewfinders, focusing screens, drives, etc. Along with the Nikon F and its progeny, the F-1/F-1N are the finest "system cameras" ever made, and can be tailored precisely to your photographic needs.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>I have owned a New F-1 and I have a lot of respect for its ruggedness and build quality. I can also appreciate some of the technological advancements it has over its predecessor, the original F-1. But I still prefer the original -- specifically, the 2nd version, the F-1n. All mechanical, mirror lock-up, and just the overall look and feel of it.</p>

<p>But to your question, whether I've been unable to part with an item after I've bought it, even though I was planning to sell it? Yes, this has happened to me often, and not just with photo gear. Years ago I used to make my living as a camera dealer, buying and selling photo equipment. There were several instances then when I bought an item to sell and found I wasn't able to part with it once I'd had a chance to use it. I assembled a couple of nice outfits doing just that. Much more recently, I bought from a local camera shop a Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 and an FD 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical. I picked up the pair for a really great price. I could easily double my money if I were to put them on eBay, but after uing both for a while, I just couldn't bring myself to sell these pieces. Now, after having used each quite a bit, I seriously doubt I'll ever part with either lens.</p>

<p>I never buy a camera for the short term, and my 100+ film cameras testify to that.</p>

<p>I have had an F-1 (original) since 1996 and just in the past month I picked up an F-1n and F-1N both in fantastic condition. I just yesterday received from KEH an AE vf for the F-1N. I also own 3 T-90s and several FTbs.</p>

<p>Question: On the F-1New, is there a convenient way to lock the exposure setting like you can do on so many cameras by half-depression of the shutter lock?</p>

<p>Hi Guys<br>

Great response - thankyou!.<br>

I did have to sell my 55mm F1.2 SSC Aspherical earlier this year due to financial woes - but I know it went to a good home as the guy that bought it lives in London and has been on this forum!.<br>

I have recently owned two of the original F1n's which I bought and sold on but I did hold on to one for a few months as I used it a lot.<br>

I have just bought another F1N on ebay today with the AE finder on it (the bigger finder). So I'll look forward to playing with that next week.<br>

My F1N did come from ebay too and I bought the AE motordrive with it but after trying it out I found I preferred the camera on it's own so sold on the motordrive.<br>

I shoot with a 5D MK2 pretty much every day and I agree with Marks comment that there is a beautiful feeling when shooting with a pure mechanical manual camera and the F1N just feels so right!.<br>

Thanks everyone for your comments - fantastic to hear from you all.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>James - you a a life saver my wife objects to my modest collection of film cameras (8 FD, 4 EOS, 3 Fuji MF, 2 Mamiya MF and 2 Contax rangefinder). In contrast to yours, my collection of 19 is very modest so I can now try and appear reasonable!<br>

David the AE finder is useful and usually expensive used. You may want to try the Winder as it is much smaller and more compact than the motor drive but still gives Tv. It also does not consume batteries the same way.</p>

<p>"Question: On the F-1New, is there a convenient way to lock the exposure setting like you can do on so many cameras by half-depression of the shutter lock?"</p>

<p>James,<br>

Unfortunately, this is not possible. Probably my biggest gripe with the F-1. <br>

Scott</p>

<p>On page 25 of the instruction manual, Canon explained:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The New Canon F-1 is basically a manual-exposure camera</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you like Auto mode and Memory lock, take the EF. The EF is really good for Tv mode and Memory lock, and it has manual override too ... even without batteries</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did have to sell my 55mm F1.2 SSC Aspherical earlier this year due to financial woes - but I know it went to a good home as the guy that bought it lives in London and has been on this forum!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, indeed. I was using it at a friend's wedding on one of my Canon F1Ns when the official photographer came up. "Always wanted one of these", he said (meaning - and borrowing - the camera), "and you get <em>real</em> depth of field [meaning lack of it] with one of these" (meaning the lens). He was really quite sorry to have to hand them back. </p>

<p>Andreas.....about your Nikon F3<br>

some months ago I caught a bargain on eBay UK...mint F3 with new seals<br>

bidding about 2am GMT - everyone else asleep - got it at about 50% going rate !!<br>

"Good" says I - nice little profit here.....<br>

have a Nikon pre-Ai lens...NIKKOR-H Auto 28mm f3.5<br>

shot a roll of B&W -------------------------- and cannot bring myself to sell it !!!!</p>

• 2 weeks later...