Portrait - set up, background, aperture / shutter speed, ISO

ram_udvadia

<p>My hobby is photography. I volunteer my work at kid’s school and community. I need to take portraits at a community event for each family in a hotel.<br>

Equipment:<br>

Camera: Canon XTI<br>

Lens: canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6<br>

Canon 50mm f/1.8<br>

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L<br>

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8<br>

Canon Speedlite 430EX II and 580EX with diffuser</p>

<p>Please suggest, how I sit / position family for individual portrait picture. what aperture / shutter speed, ISO should I use. how should I mount both flashes(master/slave), which lens should I use, etc.</p>

<p>thank you for any and all help.<br>

Ram.</p>

<p>What is the end result you envision; 1/2, 3/4, Full length? Camera setting suggestions are highest sync speed possible at minimum f/8 and lowest ISO possible. Lighting(power and distance) will determine all settings. Backgrounds can be anything from church interior, any available wall, bedsheets, and commercially made backgrounds. Standard family group portrait compositions and lighting are readily available on the web, but try to stick with the standard lighting(key at 45 deg camera left/right, fill behind camera) and composition when learning.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Guys, this really doesnt pertain to much to this blog, but I was trying to figure just how much room was needed for a small home studio, I figured in the minimum focus for a 300mm len and went smaller lens wise, i used the angle of view for each Nikkor lens that I listed, Full frame!. I'm figuring a 10 foot wide background at about 5' from the subject and about 8 foot distance from camera to subject. this is what I came up with. Any opinions would be appreciated.</p>