My 1st DSLR

shaguun_segan

<p>Hi,<br>

I have been taking pictures for the last 3 yrs and I travel a lot so I have pics from all over India. Been to the mountains, beaches, plains, deserts.. I used a Canon A560 and then got a Canon SX 10 IS.<br>

But now I want to get a DSLR. I would preferably want Canon coz I have been using it for so long now. And my main purporse would be travel photography, landscapes, nature. I would want to do some pics of the local ppl too so I would do portraits too. And Macro option would be handy too.<br>

I have nver gone into the details of the equipment so not sure abt the terms. But I would wanna know what Camera would suit my preferences and with what lenses? For the body, I am looking at abt 1200$ and another 800$ for lenses. So thats 2000$ in all, which I would want to use wisely.<br>

I still have a month in hand to get an insight on the Camera techniques and review. So im gonna keep goin over all that stuff and getting a know-how of photography better. And inputs from ppl who know abt all this would be really great.<br>

Thanks<br>

PS- If i can think of anything else to add to this, I will do that. It was just last night that I finally decided to get one.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I want to get a DSLR. I would preferably want Canon . . . . .my main purporse would be travel photography, landscapes, nature. I would want to do some pics of the local ppl too so I would do portraits too. And Macro option would be handy too. So <strong>thats 2000$ in all, which I would want to use wisely.<br /><br /></strong><strong></strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong><em> </em></strong><br>

Assuming US$:<br>

EOS 60D (camera)<br>

EF-S 17 to 55 F/2.8 IS USM (lens)</p>

<p>That will keep you going for a while. And it is a quality lens. No macro in that kit.</p>

<p>For your research you should read some other threads here, perhaps beginning with a few recent ones, as similar questions are asked often, just previous to your posting are these:<br>

<a href="00Xc7I">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Xc7I</a><br>

<a href="00XbkE">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00XbkE</a></p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>There are two Canon ranges: the xxD range and the 'Rebel' range. I prefer the xxD range because of the functions on the camera, not any 'improved quality' they give (which is likely relatively small after post processing).</p>

<p>First off I would say that WW suggetion of the 60D/17-55 is an excellent one - extremely high quality gear and at 55mm just gets into focal lengths commonly used for portraits. For a little extra cost you could get a set of extension tubes to do macro as Ilya mentioned.</p>

<p>You do not mention anything that would necessitate a zoom lens but if you do want one then you may be able to afford it by going for the Rebel T2i which has the same sensor as the 60D, is about the same physical size and it is slightly cheaper. Coupled with the Tamron 17-50 you could also get the Canon 70-200 f4L (without image stabilisation) or the 70-300 IS USM. Or go to the equvalent Tamron zoom.<br>

There really are loads of good possible combinations that so do not get too obsessive about this. But if landscapes are your thing then seriously budgeting for a tripod and polarising filter.</p>

Mike (Hitchen) - small correction, there are actually 3 "ranges" :) xxxD (aka Rebel), xxD and xD(s) where price is inversely proportional to the number of x's...;-)

<p>I would concur with 60D+17-55 or the cheaper but also very good Tamron 17-50 VC - the latter combination would also leave you with a few dollars to put towards an external flash.

<p>Finally Shaguun, you'd do well to search the threads in this forum. This question is very common. Click here as well for a wealth of information on photography in general: http://www.photo.net/learn/

<p>Good advice here, . . . but also consider after the Camera Body & basic Lens purchase, such additional things as extra batteries, Memory cards, Camera case or bag, in addition to the Tripod, Flash etc., etc., . . .</p>

<p>When it comes to purchasing your first DSLR, that $2000.00 goes fast!<br>

IMHO, better to buy the Camera and one lens and the ancillary stuff as mentioned above than to spend the entire 2K on just Camera and a couple Lens(es), then still layout extra $$$ in a very short time for these items. As an example, a Lowepro AW backpak to carry "all your stuff" can easily be above $200.00 or a good Manfrotto Tripod & head $300.00 plus, etc., etc..</p>

<p>I'd suggest that you consider putting more into a high quality lens or maybe two lenses and less into the camera. The lenses you can keep almost forever. The camera you'll likely replace in a relatively few years as they continue to improve or as your needs change. Something like roughly lenses $1200- $1400, camera $600-$800 would be my thought. <br>

When you said $2,000 for camera and lenses I assumed you either already have things like a backpack or were planning to buy them outside your $2,000 budget. But if $2,000 is intended to cover every item you'll eventually need then you'd have to think of backpack, tripod, tripod head, flash unit, cards, etc. and your budget for the camera and lens would be more like roughly $1,400 or so with roughly $600 or so for the other things, obviously depending on what kind of tripod, flash unit, etc. you buy.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I do get the importance of better lenses so I would like to invest more in that. But a aspect that I had missed out was that the accessories mght go upwards of 500$.<br>

So now i think that I would take a t2i body, 1/2/3 lenses (depending on the price) and the accessories.<br>

And my primary interest is nature and to be more precise, landscapes, beaches, roads, mountains,etc. And I am in india so buying it here is very expensive. So I am looking at getting all that i can get in one go from the US and then as i progress with it, i will have to wait and get some more.<br>

So now I have to finalize the lenses and what all accessories. And are the mixed kits online any good? the ones that have all accessories and kits with them, for example -<br>

Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens + 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit <br>

This is for 1073$. Is it any good?</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens + 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit <br />This is for 1073$. Is it any good?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I do not usually recommend that someone DO NOT buy a lens – but here I will:<br>

<strong>DO NOT buy the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.</strong><br>

IMO you would be better buying the <strong>EF</strong>-<strong>S 55</strong>-<strong>250mm f/4-5.6 IS</strong> as a mate to the camera and the other kit lens you mention: both these, the Rebel T2i and the 18 to 55 IS, will serve you well.<br>

I have no idea what the “16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit” but anything promoted as “Deluxe” would make my nose smell fish.<br>

i.e. I would want to know exactly what was in this “deluxe” kit and ensure it was not a bag of useless stuff, like a plastic 3” table tripod, for example.</p>

<p>I have little idea about Price comparisons in the USA - I do suggest you buy from a reputable dealer - there are many old threads about which USA dealers are reputable and which are not.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I have been going over the historic whirlwind of mind debats on getting a 1st DSLR. Now I have decided on the Canon 550D as the body I would get.<br>

As for the lenses I have a few options is mind - <br />Canon 50mm 1.8 --- for sure<br>

And then gotta decide from - <br />Tamron 17-50mm non-VC/VC<br />Canon 55-250mm IS<br />Canon 70-300mm IS<br />Canon 18-200mm IS<br />Canon 18-135mm IS<br>

So what should I get? Considering that I would be using it all primarily for Travel photography, Nature. To be more precise landscapes, beaches, villages, roads, local people and more nature. No wildlife or sports for now.<br>

And Im looking at around 1L. So that would be body+lens+accessories (tripod, bags, cards,flash).<br>

PS - any other lens suggestion would be helpful too.</p>