light for reception

serge_k

<p>Does anyone use monoblocks for reception light? Now I'm using 3 SB900s (1 main+2 wireless via Radiopoppers) and thinking to try AlienBees to avoid changing fast dying baterries on my portable flashes and to add more light to bigger banquet halls.</p>

<p>Serge, I used to use Alien Bees for reception lighting when I shot weddings (7-8 years ago.) I used the AB800s and triggered them with Pocket Wizards (transceiver IIs). I used the Sekonic lightmeter with the module to allow me to trigger the lights from the dance floor. You need sturdy stands and then you have the problem of cords and finding power.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Serge, these are exactly the same batteries I'm using. What ISO do you use? What aperture do you use? When using flashes I often shoot with ISO 400 - 800 and at f 1.8 - 2.8. The batteries last forever...<br>

I have also contemplated Alienbees but decided against them mainly due to size, weight and portability.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the lights. Are you simply trying to bring up the overall light level in the room or trying to create better lighting for your subjects on the dance floor?<br>

If its the first, yes one or two ABs will do the job. If it's the second, they may be overkill.<br>

I use two to four Sunpak 544/522 flashes for my reception lighting. These are cheap, pretty powerful and can be AC powered. But, I am using them to improve the lighting on my subjects, not to light the entire room.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Does anyone use monoblocks for reception light? </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I do. And I much prefer it. Biggest reason: quality of light. Strangely, I find it hard to quantify. The best I can say is that the distribution of light from a monolight is superior to that of a speedlight. The falloff is more gradual (assuming both are bounced off a wall/ceiling). And the overall coverage from the bounced light is greater than that of a shoe mount size flash. Recycle times are indeed better and overheating is never an issue. That alone is worth the price: replacing a bulb in an AB is much cheaper than buying a new flash. If the room will allow it, I will light the dance floor with nothing but off camera strobes and only use the on-camera flash when in dire need.</p><div>00Xc2S-297661584.jpg.758e6fffefe896770c6cafe6bef2cc05.jpg</div>

<p>I have Alienbees and i used them a couple of times before switching to Speedlights. I use Eneloop batteries and Canon battery packs on the off-camera strobe and the on-camera both. It's rare that I have to change batteries at all during a 4 hour reception but then I shoot at ISO 1600 and above all the time.</p>