Rodenstock 150MM Sironar-S v. Schneider 210MM APO Symmar??

martin_brass

Help! I'm a newcomer to LF and have been avidly reading various

postings regarding lenses. As this will be my first lens purchase I

was hoping to get some feedback regarding image and view quality. I

plan to be shooting mostly portrait and landscapes (eventually

purchasing a wide angle). I have read that both lenses are

excellent. I'm trying to understand whether going with a 210MM

would be unwise as a first lens or whether I lose any flexibility by

having a narrow view angle than otherwise with the 150MM.

Additionally, does one or the other lens have any limiting macro

capabilities. I guess I want to be able to do nearly everything

with this first lens. Any suggestions? Or alternative

recommendations? Many thanks as well as praise to the community

that makes this such an informative forum.

Hi Martin,

You don't say, but can I assume you are talking about 4X5" format?

If so, I would have to suggest the 150mm as your first lens. It's going to provide you with more flexibility than the 210mm. Resign yourself to the fact that no one lens is going to do everything. The important thing at this point is to get a good "normal" lens and to get yourself acquainted with using a LF camera. You will quickly see there is plenty to learn, so don't get too hung up on lens selection before you get even "get your feet wet". Who knows, you might even decide LF is not your cup of tee.

Martin,

If, as you suggest, portraiture is a priority concern then I would

opt for the 210mm. Beyond the slightly longer focal length (about

70mm in 35mm terms) you will get a considerably larger image

circle.

In 8x10 I have only two lenses at the moment - a 300mm,

equivalent to the 150mm, and a 450mm, equivalent to a 225mm

and pretty close in terms of image to the 210mm. As I traipse

about shooting in cities and country towns I hardly ever use the

300mm. In the studio, shooting full length nudes I use the

300mm at times but reach for the 450mm when I get closer.

Of course, in 4x5 shooting I have the option of using either of

those longer lenses also but generally settle for the 210mm for

the sake of easier camera operation (short arms like mine reach

the front standard easier with the 210mm).

I do have a 150mm which I use out of laziness when I shoot with

the Technika because I have it mounted in such a way as to

allow me to close the camera with it in place. That makes a light

package facilitating 'snapping' but affords me only restricted rise

or shift which eventually peeves me.

The 150mm as a lens to learn LF with is practical in one sense

but I think one of the first lessons learned would be that it is just

too short for portraiture.

Still, it's different strokes for different folks - the 210mm would be

my choice.

WG

I started with the 150 Sironar S and then added a 210 Nikkor. You'll want the 210 or even a 240 for portraits. For landscape I use all my lenses (90, 125, 150, 210) depending on the situation. The Sironar S is a magnificent lens! Speaking personally, for learning, I think I should have started with the 210 instead of the 150 because the image on the GG is brighter and more uniform and focusing and working with movements is easier. If you have limited bellows movement (you don't say what kind of camera you are going to put the lens on) I think you'll find the 150 better for closeup work. If you shoot with 35mm you ought to think about your focal length preferences their and base your decision on that. If you tend to use short telephotos then the 210 is good to begin with; if you often use a 50mm then the 150 is a good choice. If you like 35mm lenses, you might think about a 125mm of some kind.

Martin,

In terms of image quality - both are excellent lenses.

I bought a 150mm as my first 4×5 lens. Not the best portrait lens for sure as it is slightly wide. The effect would be like shooting a portrait with a 43mm lens on a 35mm camera. Not the most flattering perspective. A 210mm would be much more suitable for portrait work and will still give you a fairly "normal" perspective for other work.

Regards,

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess I should add that I just purchased a used Horseman 4x5. I still don't know what model it is (nor did the seller) but we spent a good deal of time setting up and shooting a polaroid. I have two rails (short/long) and bellows (bag/accordion) Having shot extensively with 35mm, I find the enlargement/movement capabilities of LF very attractive. The lenses I mentioned seem to have unanimous praise. Now it's just a matter of concluding focal length. I want enough flexibility with the lens to take advantage of LF's capabilities which would include movements, some macro and very sharp imaging and contrast.

My first lenses were a Schneider 90XL and 210 apo symmar. I

later added the 150XL and Nikkor 300M. I think the 210mm is a

great way to go, but you might want something like a 110-

135mm lens, too. I find a 90mm isn't very useful for landscape.

I'd much rather have a 110XL. :-) OTOH, for architecture, 90mm

is a must.

What's the max. bellows extension you can get w/ your 4x5? For

portraiture/landscape, I'd probably go 110mm, 210mm, 300mm.

BTW, the 210mm apo symmar is probably the sharpest of my

lenses and the easiest to focus.

When I started out in 35mm, I opted out of the "normal" lenses and picked a 35mm lens as my personal "normal."

In 4x5, I went wider - my "normal" lens is a 110mm Super Symmar XL. The next lens I bought was a 240mm Fujinon-A. I shoot mostly landscapes with a few portraits thrown in to keep me off balance. I find that I rarely ever want a focal length in between these two.

Hi Martin

You want do totaly different things with only one lens. I would like to know how much bellows extention you have. If you have more then 45cm then you can take the 210mm and still can get a 1:1 macro shot but with not much DOF. For portraits the 210mm is better but still on the short site but it is okay for it! For landscapes I prever a shorter 90mm or a longer one 480mm very seldom use the 210mm on thad.

But as you can see every photog has his own way, and you just have to find your own way. But with your statement I would take the 210mm.

Good luck!

Again I appreciate the comments. For those who have asked, my longest rail is 40cm. So I'm not sure how that would affect macro capability. Is there a general rule of thumb? Additionally, I'm looking at the R150 new v. the S210 used, roughly the same price. But now I've heard comments that the R APO Sironar has the ED glass which is making me wonder if I should opt for that. I'm leaning towards the 210 but am concerned I'll be limited macrowise and would forego the opportunity of owning a very sharp lens like the 150. I don't plan to own a 150 and 210 together as i think they are too close focally. So practically speaking does a 210 provide a reasonable balance between a 150 and 240 or should I invest in a 150 today with an eye open for a good 240 deal in the future?

Here's a small demo of the 150 Sironar S:

<p>See the full image <a href=http://home.attbi.com/~suryasoft/photos/Concord.htm>here</a>

<p>Down at the end of the path, is a small stone, and there is a sign above it.

<p>In the attached image, you can easily read the sign.