Fine ink lines on Epson 1270 prints

My epson 1270 is printing very thin lines(cyan or magenta)on my prints,extending into the boarders.These lines are very fine and finley spaced.Sometimes covering the entire print,sometimes only part. No it is not banding or cloging.Drivers have been reinstaled,no help. If anyone has had this problem and found a solution or cause please help,!!or is this printer toast.Thank you in advance. T.M.

Jon thank you for the response... In portrait mode the lines are left to right or horizontal. In landscape mode they are top to bottom, or virtacal. Also the color lines show up in printing in only black ink mode. Thank you T.M.

TM

This problem happens with my printer too.When it does I open the printer and use a damp cloth to wipe the ink pad on your left until it is clear,ie no ink comes off on the cloth. This takes a little while and sometimes you have to change the cloth. After this is done, then print a picture, usually you get a lot of the lines in this first print and then subsequent prints are clean.

If this doesn't work then you can try cleaning the printhead. To do this, press the yellow button to move the printhead to the left side of the printer as if you would be changing cartridges. Then unplug the printer, place a thin damp sheet of paper towel in the path of the printhead and move the printhead over this sheet a couple of times to wipe it clean. Move the printhead back to the left and connect the power plug.

I have also found that this effect happens more with some cartridges than with others

Good Luck

Raymond

I hope you're not experiencing the same problem I had with my Epson 1270. In not one but two cases, the problem was a defective print head. The first time it cost me about US$150 to have it replaced (the warranty had expired). And although I didn't have to pay for the second print head, which did not work properly right from the first print, it was annoying having to lug the printer twice to and from the Epson service centre.

This exact problem has happened with my 1280 on multiple occasions,and seems to be a "cleaning" issue: it has always disappeared after using the automated head cleaning function. It ususally takes MULTIPLE cleaning cycles (3-5) to work. Your printer is not defective, just needs vigourous cleaning.

Greg, I did cleaning so many times I used up almost 1/2 ink carts. The prints look perfect with no missing colors or banding, the fine lines appear to be laid down on top of the print. Also of intrest text seems to print out fine. Strange?. I showed some prints to a local Epson rep. He had never seen this effect and did'nt think it could be caused by cloging. Thanks for your help,I miss my printer.

• 2 months later...
I have an Epson 875 with the same issues. Epson tech explained that it was caused by leaving the printer "on" for extended periods. He also said that I could try up to 8 head cleanings and that if the problem didn't disappear after that, it was time for repairs. He mentioned print head replacement. With nothing to lose, I used an eye dropper to "flush the print head with isopropyl alcohol! This worked for a couple of 8x10's but the problem returned. Could anyone recommend an Epson 960?

• 2 months later...
I had the same problem on a Photo 750. Eventually I junked it. In a moment of madness I bought another Epson - a Photo 870. I've had it just over 2 years and now it, too, has started doing the same. Fine cyan lines appearing at random on prints. Some pages are completely free, some well covered. Sometimes it happens on mono pages, some on colour (plain paper and photo glossy) and there seems no obvious pattern behind the appearances. I think I'll get a Canon soon; the i950 looks pretty good. Not another Epson, however. The support is 100% useless...

• 2 months later...
Don't know if the issue is print head nozzle cleanliness but if it is the solution might be the DEADHEAD print head from ink4art.com. It is a ink cartridge with a cleaning solution in it. Also your problem may be too much ink on the pad under the printhead in the park position (where the cleaning cycles take place). Put the cart in the exchange position and use a cloth of very absorbent paper towel to blot ink from the pad. I have heard of replacing the pads but have not yet found a source. You might want to wear gloves when doing this one

Don't know if the issue is print head nozzle cleanliness but if it is the solution might be the DEADHEAD print cart from ink4art.com. It is a ink cartridge with a cleaning solution in it. Also your problem may be too much ink on the pad under the printhead in the park position (where the cleaning cycles take place). Put the cart in the exchange position and use a cloth or very absorbent paper towel to blot ink from the pad. I have heard of replacing the pads but have not yet found a source. You might want to wear gloves when doing this one

I find it very odd that one or more color heads are printing in black only mode, that sounds like possibly printer driver corruption, or (if not that) even a firmware/pcb failure. Have you tried reinstalling the drivers, or testing the printer on a different computer? Post your question on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint, those guys might know something about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Having the same problem with my 2000p. I get random cyan lines, and now sometimes magenta, horizontally across the travel of the print head. Sometimes the page is covered, sometimes only a few lines.

Interesting claim that it's caused by leaving the printer on. Mine was always on. That's pretty obnoxious though, as Epson issies no warnign against this I'm aware of.

I'm going to try cleaning the heads and such, but I suspect the heads are done for.

This really irritates me, as one doesn't expect an expensive printer to just up and die one day.

:(

Anyone with advice to fix this problem? I'd sure appreciate it!

Sometimes when the inkpads get too loaded they get some ink on the exteriior of the print head. This can get transferred to the rollers which put it on your print. Lift the front cover and you will see a row of little grey rollers below the belt. Check them for ink. Sometimes it is just right there to see and sometimes you have to reach in and rotate them with your finger to spot the ink. Clean 'em if they are inky. I haad this prob for a short while a long time ago. Not lately.

• 6 months later...
I join you in your frustration. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 200P that has been doing the exact same thing. I just contacted Epson support and they told me to take it in for service. I have tried everything too. I think the company needs to be held accountable for this one because it seems like a very common malfunction in their printers. My printer is only 3 years old. Let me know, anyone, what you figure out on this one. Karen

• 5 weeks later...

I've just started having the same problem with my epson 2000p:

ligth blue lines , wider then printing area, and some times

stronger , some times it goes away.I've tryed epson costumer

service by email (here in brazil they say this epson model

doesn't exist...) Is there anyone with an anser out there????

Thanks.Marcos

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had this problem on and off with my 1280 -- always pin-thin parallel black lines. I

used to think it had to do with the catridge, because it would happen randomly, but start

each time usually after I put in a new ink cartridge. But someone's answer above had me

try this:

open the lid -- push the yellow button to make the inks slide to the Left -- get a paper

towel and fold it into several layers (but small in overall size) -- reach in to the far right,

and there is a felt ink pad that is on small plastic mount that is adjustable -- blot as much

ink off of it as possible, until the paper towel comes back with hardly any ink -- push

yellow button again -- try another print. It may take a few prints to work it out of it's

system, but I think that felt pad gets overloaded -- possibley having something to do with

the cleaning cycle dumping some ink?? I think this because it seems like my ink levels

drop significantly if I do a bunch od cleaning cycles. I think my machine doesn't clean

itself properly -- ever since I bought it 3 years ago. Good luck -- it's a really maddening

problem.