wedding fashion shots in what appears to be direct sun?

dan_berdal

<p>I've been seeing photos like this around for awhile in magazines, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what sort of lighting set up is being used.<br>

Express clothing does a lot of shots like this as well. The models will be in near mid afternoon sun with shadows you would expect to the side of the subject, but without major shadows in the eye sockets... So clearly their is another light source.... but it is very even, large, and warm<br>

From your collective knowledge are these photos created with a large reflector?<br>

or<br>

with strobes?<br>

or<br>

are they using large format cameras with a much higher dynamic range than pro level dslrs<br>

here are two examples (please excuse the horrible scans)</p>

<p>www.s251757588.onlinehome.us/madison/image1.jpg<br>

www.s251757588.onlinehome.us/madison/image2.jpg</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For the first shot: Sun (obviously), a large strobe at full power, possibly through a beauty dish, facing the model (and creating the highlights on her legs) and either a LARGE reflector at camera left or another strobe, at lower power, through a large softbox or octabank.</p>

<p>Second shot: sun, high at camera left, a large strobe, again, quite possibly through a beauty dish facing the model and, I would hazard a guess, a blue-geled strobe, at camera left, hitting the wall right next to the model and balancing out the yellow colour of the wall (if you notice, normally, the wall should cast a yellow-orange reflection on the model's skin - in the image the reflection is neutral in colour)</p>

<p>These are my guesses...at least that's how I would attempt to light this.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The models will be in near mid afternoon sun with shadows you would expect to the side of the subject</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps..Perhaps not. Have you verified the shoot times?</p>

<p>What you do not realize other than the external high powered strobes are the many static light modifiers off camera.<br>

A MAJOR contributor to these images are large scrims being held over the models head or at least between her and the harsh sun and Gobos/flags to control reflected light.</p>

<p>Fill alone would not account for the soft light on the models face if these shots are truly shot at high sun times.</p>

<p>All the shoots that are in direct sunlight are done with strobes. Shots that are done in shaded area are mostly done with reflectors. The light modifier on your examples could be a beauty dish but most likely a standard zoom reflector or magnum reflector. You can see that the shadows have a hard edge which backs that theory up. The lightness of the shadow clearly indicates a fill light. If the shadow was black then no fill light. You can use what ever light modifier you like. The most important thing here is that this is done with strobes as it is quick and consistent and has all the control over the ambient lighting.<br>

<b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>

<p>All the shoots that are in direct sunlight are done with strobes. Shots that are done in shaded area are mostly done with reflectors. The light modifier on your examples could be a beauty dish but most likely a standard zoom reflector or magnum reflector. You can see that the shadows have a hard edge which backs that theory up. The lightness of the shadow clearly indicates a fill light. If the shadow was black then no fill light. You can use what ever light modifier you like. The most important thing here is that this is done with strobes as it is quick and consistent and has all the control over the ambient lighting.<br /><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>

<p>"All the shoots that are in direct sunlight are done with strobes." - not necessarily. If you have powerful enough strobes you CAN afford to shoot in the midday sun without problems. True, most of the "sunlit" shots do involve the model being shaded by a transparent reflector or something, but I have read of more than enough shoots which occur in midday...</p>

<p>I agree that the first image is lit with a hard light positioning in front of the model and creating the shadows on the floor and wall. The shadow on her neck is produced by another light, the fill, also a hard light, positioned to the right of the camera. Either light could be the sun, and the other a strobe.</p>

<p><br /> The second image seems to be just the sun as key light and a fill reflector redirecting some of the sunlight back to the model. There is quite a bit of specular reflections on her chest, which may indicate a high contrast silver reflector, not sure. It could also be oiled skin.<br /> Just a guess!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>All the shoots that are in direct sunlight are done with strobes. Shots that are done in shaded area are mostly done with reflectors. The light modifier on your examples could be a beauty dish but most likely a standard zoom reflector or magnum reflector. You can see that the shadows have a hard edge which backs that theory up. The lightness of the shadow clearly indicates a fill light. If the shadow was black then no fill light. You can use what ever light modifier you like. The most important thing here is that this is done with strobes as it is quick and consistent and has all the control over the ambient lighting.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>+1 </strong><br>

For most of the Vogue-like, gritty shots they use a reflector in midday sun, and don't mind the blowouts. But the commercial stuff always has strobes... usually more than you'd think. </p>

<p>Both of these shots were done with strobes to answer your question. sorry i did not mean to start a debate. No reflectors in these shots. Express uses strobes for there campaigns. Not to say they never use reflectors. You will get best results with strobe when dealing with direct sunlight. Sun will be the main and strobe the fill. What you use for a modifier is your personal taste of how soft or hard you want the shadows.</p>

<p>we can only guess by what we see. The problem is what we don't see, meaning information that has been retouched out. What i do see is what looks like a beauty dish or some round diffused light source high camera right. I cant see any catch lights for the bottom of the image but the even illumination of the legs and feet and softend shadow on steps show addtional light. It is possible that it is all from the one light source but I don't know. It is best to contact the photographer. 9 times out of 10 the lighting setup is less than we make it out to be.</p>