Stephen gandy

This is not a comment on Mr. Gandy, as I don't know him personally. But I've both purchased and sold online. One thing needs to be clear. It is the seller's job to get the product to the buyer (this includes proper condition, insurance, delivery confirmation). The same applies for the buyer in getting the check/payment to the seller in the same manner. It is never an excuse to send payment via USPS without some sort of delivery confirmation on either sides. To wash your hands of responsibility at the post office is irresponsible and what prompts threads and misunderstandings like this to begin with.

Take pride in fulfilling your side of the bargain, do not trust any carrier to do your job for you. It cracks me up whenever a seller or buyer advertises something where they state "insurance is extra" or can be "extra" or "delivery confirmation can be extra". I hit the next button immediately when that is the attitude of the party in question. It shows me that he/she is only interested the minimal duties as it relates to a honorable transaction. And there are plenty of more honorable fish in the sea. Best regards, hope you guys get this straigtened out.

Friends,

I decided to send my Leica M6 to Stephen for repairs--a frozen shutter. I chose him not because his price was the lowest but for the warmness of his response. He told me what was probably wrong and reasured me that it could be taken care of. My Leica got a tracer number and he kept me posted on the progress of my repairs--received, fixed, sent. And I got it back within a month. That's my experience with Stephen--a very pleasant one. Take it for what it is worth. I cannot pass judgement on others' experiences.

All this is a preface to the following: I think this forum is the very place to talk out matters as discussed here. This is indeed a Leica forum, but Voigtlander is tied very closely to Leica--which has historical precedents.

Best,

Alex

I've delt with Stephen a number of times in the last year. I bought a 21mm & 28mm CV lenses, a couple of finders, and somer other CV accessories. All I can say is that I was very pleased with the service, the promptnes of Stephen's replies and shipments, and the quality of the goods.

I did have one small problem. An instruction sheet was missing from one of the lenses. I sent Stephan an email and 3 days later the instruction sheet showed up in the mail. I live in Florida and Stephen is in California. Very quick if you ask me.

My 2 cents. I will buy from Stephan again.

I've purchased a couple things from Stephen -- a set of LTM adapters and a VC 35/2.5 -- and I received top notch service both times.

I received both items very quickly -- much quicker than I expected -- and had no problems whatsoever.

Moreover, Stephen's cameraquest site is a fantastic reference, and I've used it many, many times. I very much appreciate all the work Stephen's put into the site and the business.

I also bought from Mr. Gandy, two transactions and absolutely no problems. I did have some uncertainty about whether a case I received was for the Voigtlander 12mm or 15/25 series. Mr. Gandy was very helpful and responded promptly to back and forth emails. I'm very satisfied.

One might argue that this discussion belongs in the <a href="http://www.photo.net/neighbor/opc.tcl?category_id=0">Neighbour</a> section however there is no doubt that it is relevant to anyone interested in LTM or Leica bayonet cameras.

<p>Given that Mr. Gandy is reading, I will say "thanks for the <a href="http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm">rangefinder support information</a>".

<p> (No, I'm not a customer)

Thanks Chip.

A thought occurred to me. Stephen ought to be Voigtlander's official rep in the North America. Why not? He gives Voigtlander the best press of anyone next to the folks who put up the Cosina website in Japanese. He runs a Voigtlander discussion board. Cosina's website lists him as one of their links. If they teamed up it would be truly be the beginning of a beautiful friendship--and a lot of distribution and service problems for VC in North America would be solved.

I write as a totally disinterested observer living in Japan where I get great deals and great service. (But don't envy me; the only thing that keeps me in this crazy place is that it is a camera junky's paradise!)

• 3 weeks later...