Nikon D90 Questions And Focusing

yonard_lamco

<p>I am new to DSLR photography, I Do have a D90 with AF-S 18-105mm VR kit lens.<br>

In shooting P,S, A and M Modes<br /> <br />Lets say P:<br /> <br />Program Auto, Do I need to set my AF-S Lens Focus Mode Selector to A and the camera body focus selector mode to AF<br /> <br />same with shooting<br /> <br />S: Shutter Priority<br />A: Aperture Priority<br /> <br />How about the M: Manual? Probably I need to set both lens and camera body to M.<br />I am new to photography and I am starting to like it and consider it as a hobby. <br /> <br />Another question is, What is focusing?<br>

There are different definitions with this one and it depends on how an individual describes it.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>This is a pretty advanced camera if you are new to DSLR. Answering your questions may be confusing, so the best advice I can give you is to read the manual that came with the D90. Answers to all of your questions are right there. And while you learn the answers to your questions, you will learn many other important basics with using this camera.</p>

<p>We should probably recommend a basic photography text before the camera manual and bythom.com<br>

For autofocus, set the lens to A and the camera to AF.<br>

The P, S, A selection refers to exposure control -- various methods of setting shutter speed and aperture, considering "film speed" ISO, to get the correct exposure. To start out, use P, which stands for "program". The camera will determine aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed based on what it reads in the meter. Once you are comfortable with that, you can try A, which is aperture priority. In this mode, you can select aperture (f-stop) with the thumb wheel and get large depth of field (f16, which gives you slower shutter speed, but wide range of focus) or narrow depth of field (f5ish, which gives you narrower depth of field and faster shutter speed).</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25446/D90.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.Overview">http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25446/D90.html#tab-ProductDetail.ProductTabs.Overview</a></p>

<p>Under the above Nikon site there’s a “D90 <strong>Digitutor” (bottom right), which has some basic introductory info in video form. It’s worth a review. </strong></p>

<p>There's also a learning section of this site that's worthwhile. <a href="../learn/making-photographs/exposure">http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/exposure</a><br>

Exposure Modes: P,S,A,M</p>

<ul>

<li>P (Program Auto) let the camera select aperture and shutter speed for you to get a 'correct' exposure.</li>

<li>S (Shutter priority) you choose the shutter speed, camera chooses the aperture.</li>

<li>A (Aperture priority) you choose the aperture, camera chooses the shutter speed.</li>

<li>M (Manual) you choose both the aperture and shutter speed</li>

</ul>

<p>These exposure modes are unrelated to focus method, and each mode can be used with each AF and lens focus mode.<br>

Focusing, refers changing the distances of the components within your lens to achieve a picture that is Sharp where you want it to be, and not so sharp in other areas. Generally lenses have a particular distance range that is in focus. This depends on the distance from your camera to the subject, and the selected aperture. Larger subject distance increases the in focus range (usually referred to as depth of field or DoF). Larger apertures (higher f-stop) also give a larger DoF, at the expense of letting less light in.<br>

Your camera has several methods of focusing, manual (where you control the focus by twisting the focus ring on the lens, and automatic where the camera tries to work out the best focal distance. The lens focus selector chooses between these. Your lens also has a similar setting that allows you to choose to use manual or auto (you can override the auto focus by turning the focus ring). Within automatic focusing (AF) there are several different parameters to control. AF mode (AF-S, AF-C, AF-A) chooses whether the camera focuses once (AF-Single) or continuously (AF-C), or chooses which to use automatically (AF-A). Leave it on AF-A to start with until you learn a bit more. Another parameter is the AF area mode. The camera can be set to several different modes that select which points it will attempt to choose when focusing. Auto area is most useful when beginning as this matches the point and shoot style of shooting closely. Single point is worth investigating when you have particular items in a picture that you want to focus on.</p>

<p>A quick answer for your question - the lens and camera have to be set to A and/or A/M for autofocus. FoOr manual, you can have the lens OR the camera set to M (you don't need to change both switches to M.)</p>

<p>As the other have said - the P,S,A,M are the EXPOSURE modes and really don't have anything to do with autofocus or manual focus. For example in M mode on the dial and the camera and lens set to A or A/M, the camera will autofocus but you will have to select the right aperture and shutter spee for a correct exposure.</p>