Ricoh Diacord "G" Expert Needed To Answer Questions.

zippy_galoo

I just purchased a Ricoh Diacord G in excellent condition. I do have a

few questions I'm hoping a expert on this camera can help me answer.

1. They shutter speeds 1 sec., 1/2 sec., 1/5 sec. and 1/10 sec. seem

to stick or vary in speed. Why is that? How can I fix it?

2. There are very small spots that appear to be inside the fresnel

ground glass. I say inside because I've cleaned both sides of the

fresnel ground glass. What are these spots? How can I remove them?

3. There is a very small hair/fiber inside the taking lens (probably

on one of the internal lens elements). Will this show up on film? (The

lens is an 80mm 3.5 Rikenon) How can I remove it?

4. There is a knurled ring around the shutter release button that

apparently loosens and tightens for some reason. What is the purpose

of this knurled ring?

5. Is there any way to keep the shutter open on the "B" setting

without holding the shutter release button in for the duration of the

exposure?

6. Where can I get this camera CLA'd? Who does the best job? How much

will it cost me?

7. Is the flash shoe a hot shoe? Will it fire the flash when the

shutter is tripped?

8. Why is there so much talk about the baffling in this camera? What's

so special about it?

Any other helpful information on this particular model would be great.

Thanks

Disregard question #2 because I figured it out. I didn't realize that the fresnel lens wasn't stuck to the groundglass. There are two clips that hold the fresnel lens against the ground glass. I unscrewed the four screws that hold the wasit level finder onto the camera, took it off, and discovered two small clips that hold the fresnel lens against the ground glass. I unclipped them, seperated the two, cleaned them both, and reassembled. Thus solving question #2 myself. How about the rest of the questions?

Well, Greg is the Ricoh expert here but he's being modest, so I'll give it a shot.

1) Not good. The camera needs a clean, lube and adjust. Like somebody posted recently, "loosening it up" by using it only grinds the old lube and dirt away.

2) Fixed, but people sometimes see bad spots on the reflex mirror and misjudge them for spots on the G.G.

3) If the material is located inside the lens, and not between the elements, it can be cleaned during the shutter service, I believe. Very often (but not always) small imperfections in the taking lens have no effect on the image quality, but some can cause flare problems.

4) For attaching a shutter-release adapter, Nikon nipple, or what ever. Screw the adapter onto the threads, and the shutter release cable into the adapter. Often (at least on my Diacord's) there are enough threads exposed (with the nut screwed on full) to fit the adapter. Give it a try, and don't force it. My repairman glued these nuts into place.

5) If your shutter release cable had a locking feature, then that is one way. The shutter button has no locking feature (like the Minolta Autocord)

6) Check the archives for info on Paul Ebel, Mark Hama, or Ross Yerkes. All have an excellent reputation here. Personally, I use Paul often with great results, always.

7) On the Diacord, I believe the flash shoe is indeed hot.

8) Compared to the TLR's that actually have baffling (as Greg alluded to) the Dia's and Dia G's have what looks like a pretty sophisticated maze of baffling, which should improve image quality by blocking any stray light that may leak through the seals. Then again, I'm not sure of the Ricoh has seals, which may explain the design of the film chamber.

At any rate, get the problems sorted out, then get out and use it. It was rated favorably when it was produced, and should by all accounts help you make beautiful pictures. The lens really is quite good, and the Duo-Focusing system is the best fitted to any TLR...well, any I've seen anyway. Build quality and finish on the Diacords is very nice, and I think they were some of the prettiest TLR's ever, if that matters to you.

Enjoy!

Thanks Greg and Nolan. From reading previous post, both of you seem to know these Diacords very well. Just a few other things if you don't mind answering.

1. Will it hurt the camera if I just use it at the shutter speeds that work? (i.e. 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400 & "B")?

2. What's the name of the cable release adapter for this camera and where can I purchase one?

3. As far as the CLA goes, do you have any idea of what it will cost me to fix the shutter problem and clean, lube and adjust everything?

4. I figured out the flash shoe was indeed hot, but the problem I'm having is that both flashes I have only fire when mounted backwards on the Diacord. Neither of them will fire at all when I mount them forward. Any idea why they won't fire when mounted forward?

5. How do you go about using filters with this camera...for landscape etc. (i.e. grads, polarizers, etc.)?

Thanks again for all of your input.

Ok Zippy, here you go-

1) Will it hurt the camera if I just use it at the shutter speeds that work? (i.e. 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400 & "B")?

Resist the temptation to use the camera before it is serviced. It will last longer and perform better.

2. What's the name of the cable release adapter for this camera and where can I purchase one?

Nikon (Leica?) nipple, or the last one I bought was simply referred to as a "cable release adapter". Another option is to simply go to a quality photo shop with the camera and explain what you need. It is a pretty common item.

3. As far as the CLA goes, do you have any idea of what it will cost me to fix the shutter problem and clean, lube and adjust everything?

Judging by past experience, anywhere from $100-200, depending on what exactly is done. Understand, that I am reluctant to quote this type of info- It's not right to quote for someone else's time and labor!

4. I figured out the flash shoe was indeed hot, but the problem I'm having is that both flashes I have only fire when mounted backwards on the Diacord. Neither of them will fire at all when I mount them forward. Any idea why they won't fire when mounted forward?

Because the contacts aren't touching. I'd recommend a proper L-bracket with "potato masher" style flash that connects with a cable. Something like a Sunpak 555.

5. How do you go about using filters with this camera...for landscape etc. (i.e. grads, polarizers, etc.)?

The best filters for TLR's are made by Rollei and Minolta, although I have quite a few Tiffen filters that attach between the lens hood and the Bay I mount. The only filters I use consistently are UV filters, just to protect the taking lens when working.

<P>Hello Zippy, I am another Diacord G owner, so congratulations on owning a beautiful camera. If it's in good condition it will take as good a pic as any TLR short of a Rolleiflex. The construction is also very solid and well thought out. The baffling has been remarked on already.</P><P>I had the slow shutter speeds sticking and I think it's just a symptom of age. They will probably speed up with use but a CLA is the best cure. Re filters, there is a lot of Bay 1 stuff around which will fit, but I got a Bay 1 to 46mm screw adapter, plus a 46-49 stepping ring, and I use all my SLR accessories on it. It's particularly important to use a lens hood always on this camera.</P>