lens choices

nn_tt

<p>Hi,<br>

I'm a newcomer to the forums, and I recently purchased all new equipment.<br>

I did wedding photography for about 12 years, then I quit the business about 5 years ago due to family obligations. I only have shot a handful of weddings for friends & family since. I used Hasselblad gear during the 10-12 years that I did weddings, and I had a Canon 10D that I played with a bit, but not for weddings.<br>

I've decided that I want to get back in the business as I actually miss it. I purchased all new gear since I'm sure that film based Hassy equipment is not going to be the best choice for shooting this time around.<br>

I bought all Canon...<br>

5DMKII with grip<br>

7D with grip<br>

70-200 f2.8L IS II<br>

24-70 f2.8L<br>

24-105 f4L IS<br>

85 f1.2L<br>

15 f2.8 fisheye<br>

580EXII<br>

I also bought the Adobe Lightroom program based on the recommendation of the store that I bought the gear, and I have the current Photoshop on my laptop.<br>

I am considering a couple of more lenses..<br>

135 f 2.0L<br>

100 f2.8m macro<br>

Do these lenses make much sense based on what I already have, or am I just looking for something to buy?<br>

I also really don't know how to handle the digital workflow, I'm hoping to get my head around it during this winter season before the wedding season starts next spring so I would accept any tips & pointers on getting started.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree, you need more flashes. I have four speedlites and often want more! But if nothing else, at least one back up. As far as lenses go, I love my 105mm (Nikon guy) Macro for ring shots and such. As far as Lightroom goes, I might suggest getting a book on Lightroom to start. And there is always Kelby Training: http://www.kelbytraining.com/online/courses.html&category=lightroom</p>

<p>To me, the 24-105mm is redundant, having the 24-70mm. I'd pick one over the other. I'd get the 135mm f2L and a 50mm f1.2 or 1.4, and possibly the 24mm f1.4L. Also a 1.4x extender. I would also look up William W.'s posts on an efficient dual format kit. I personally use a Canon close up lens for shooting macro.</p>

<p><a href="00S9YX">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00S9YX</a></p>

<p>I used to shoot with a Hasselblad and Metz 60, with 3 lenses and an extender. There is such a thing as having too many lenses. I personally keep my over the shoulder selection small--I carry 3 lenses at a time. I keep 2 wide aperture primes in a separate small case that I can hang around my neck and attach to my belt when I am shooting dim, no flash ceremonies.</p>

<p>A back up flash is a good idea.</p>

<p>I keep my workflow simple. I use Lightroom and can pass files through pretty fast, for basic post processing. Do some research on workflows. There have been previous threads about this.</p>

<p>I have the 24-105 as it came as a kit on the 5DMKII. I considered selling it, but I think that I'm going to leave it on the 7D as the main lens for that body. It also seems like a nice lens for personal use on the 7D when I don't want haul around much gear.</p>

<p>NN--I don't keep a mid range zoom on each body, and I have a 5D and 40D. My system is a bit different. I use a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 on my 5D, and generally use the 40D as my tele body. So I often have a 50mm f1.4 on it, or my Tokina 50-135mm f2.8. Then I got a Sigma 24mm f1.8 and sometimes have that on my 40D. It happens to also be a macro lens so I've been having fun with that. I also have an 85mm and 135mm and an extender, that I can use on both bodies (50mm and 24mm too).</p>

<p>I think you should start shooting before making any more lens decisions. That way, you can figure out how you like to have things.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am considering a couple of more lenses.. 135 f 2.0L; 100 f2.8m macro; Do these lenses make much sense based on what I already have, or am I just looking for something to buy?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes both lenses make sense to me based upon what you already have and where I think you are going with your kit. I however would now buy the EF100/2.8L IS USM.</p>

<p>As much as we can get inside another’s ideas and motivations - I think you have made a couple of oversights.<br />><strong>Two more</strong> flash units would be good.</p>

<p>><strong>a fast 24</strong> would give you much more leverage than either the 135/2 or 100/2.8M so I would get that first.</p>

<p>> as you have the 85/1.2, a fast 50 could be “managed” by using the 24 on the 7D – but <strong>I would look at the 50/1.4</strong> anyway if I were you.<br />In fact I was just discussing with a good friend, a particular circumstance where a 50/1.4 on a 5D would be the best option for a difficult situation.<br />A fast normal lens – and knowing how to use it - can get you out of many tight situations, you should know that having used a ‘blad and an 80mm lens. So I would buy a 50/1.4 before the 135/2 or the 100/2.8M: also because you have the fast zoom coverage and whilst 135/2 is nice to have: 135 at 2.8 with IS can do a hellava lot.</p>

<p>><strong>the x1.4MkIII</strong> would be a good idea.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Above all else I think you have to think through (or WORK through) how you are going to use the gear.<br />I used two working cameras to cover a Wedding and I liked “everything” at my fingertips. The other concept is to revisit the bag, as and when necessary – I didn’t do that much – and I still don’t for the work I do now.<br />After you decide that question then that will dictate exactly what lenses you carry in your bag and what, if any extra lenses, you carry on you.</p>

<p>If you decide to be one to return to the bag a lot, then I suggest you think about how you lay out your bag and perhaps look up a video by David A. Ziser, where he takes apart his bag and shows how he packs it . . . and why.<br />If you decide to be a <em>two camera user</em> and carry most of the gear you use throughout the coverage - and just have the bag there with “extra stuff” – then you need to think with more detail about your purcahses as to what is useful and efficient and what give you the most leverage.<br />I am not suggesting you sell any of the lenses you already have, but you will need “light weight leverage” in the gear you carry around and that is something the 24/1.4 and the 50/1.4 will give you. And if you choose to be one who returns to the bag a lot then the 24 and 50 will be quite useful, anyway.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>I think you also need to determine how much use the 70 to 200 will get at the Wedding – and on what camera.<br />There are two reasons for this comment – the first is, if you are going to use this lens often (on the 5D for example) then you have to think about what you have left to use on the 7D; because a lens-change of the 70 to 200 is not an easy one to do <em>one handed</em>, if you are opting for the “using two camera” scenario.<br />The second reason is the weight and the size and if you will load a flash with it – it is not the most discrete of objects when full clad – and you might not have thought of that on a 5DMkII with battery pack on board too – I don’t know.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>It seems you are very much slanted to F/2.8 zoom coverage – so I’ll just mention that for a “super streamlined” kit: using 7D and a 5DMkII camera - if you use the 16-35/2.8MkII and the 70-200/2.8MkII IS – that two zoom kit renders both the 24-70 and the 24 105 mostly superfluous, in terms of FoV. . . and IMO mostly superfluous, entirely - at the Wedding Coverage.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>PS and I trust that the 16 toi 35 is the MkII version?</p>