Confusion about M3 body serial number...

bill_krosney

<p>Folks,<br>

I was browsing eBay and saw this item (250712536579), an early DS M3 body s/n # 734884. The body as it appears in the images seems to have the Viewfinder Frame Selector Lever. Yet, I thought those started appearing on M3 bodies with s/n # 785801? Could this be a M3 built from various parts?<br>

Also, the listing as worded as "Early Leica M3 ... 4 expose screws". What is the significance of "4 expose screws"?<br>

Thanks in advance.<br>

... Bill</p>

<p>I think Leitz found the chrome topped screws, similar to those attaching the body with LSM cameras, redundant after 1954-55. They show up 2 each front and back on the chrome just above the vulcanite. Just another indicator of early M3 production. I wonder, if it was upgraded, if it has the ceramic/glass pressure plate and ISO marks up to 200 on back?</p>

<p>I popped over to the eBay site. Yes, I see what you mean about the set of 2 chrome screws above the vulcanite; front and back.<br>

Can't comment on the ceramic/glass pressure plate. But I do see the ISO markings up to 200 on the back. Were those changed at some point?<br>

I'm trying to attach a picture.<br>

... Bill</p><div>00XWjh-292789584.jpg.138e202d77f8484431e5f496705fa019.jpg</div>

<p>Fascinating... on a M3 serial number 855617 I see that the chrome topped screws are not evident, and the ISO scale on the back goes up to 1000. Fascinating how the camera has evolved not only with major upgrades (preview select lever, SS vs DS), but also with a lot of minor touches as well.<br>

What's a good reference to track down with regards to all these subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes that the M3 has evolved through?<br>

My M3 is getting serviced right now, and I'm chomping at the bit to take a look at it when it comes back and learn more about its history and where it fits in.<br>

... Bill</p>

<p>Hi Bill & All,<br>

There is an interesting article on early M3s here:<br>

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M3/1954-60/LeicaM3-700131/index.htm<br>

This should give some landmarks. Also, I notice in one of the photographs which you posted, that the middle part of the rewind knob (which rotates when you wind on to show that the film is advancing) has a slot/line.<br>

I have a very early M3 which has one red dot; later ones have two red dots. I believe the line is very early on in the production. Despite the very early serial number, my camera also has the pre-selector lever.<br>

Best,<br>

David</p>

<p>Bill, the camera on your photos clearly has a glass pressure plate. You can see the metal frame edges holding the glass plate. Metal plates are one-piece constructions when looked at from the same angle as in the photo.<br>

Cheers<br>

Pete</p>