Is this the work of HDR via photoshop

davidclick

<p>I have seen an image which i love and would aspire to be able to match. It can bee seen via this link -<br /><a href="http://www.petebarnesphotography.co.uk/wedding-packages/">http://www.petebarnesphotography.co.uk/wedding-packages/</a><br>

My question is regarding the image depicting a brides back. Is this a HDR image? How was this look and feel created. Is there a tutorial i could follow. I am gettin the latest version of photoshop shortly.<br>

Thanks in advance,<br />David</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It is a good eye in retouching. Can't tell you for sure if it is "HDR", bracketed and combined in photoshop, or just taken from a single capture. You could get those exact same tones from all 3 methods, and rather which method was used should depend on the dynamic range presented at the time of capture.</p>

<p>The sky would be the hardest here. My guess is that a single take was used and processed twice to blend in the properly exposed elements. I get similar results using a yellow filter in Nik silver efex pro. (I wish my results were similar:)</p>

<p>Single shoot. Meter for the sky, may have used red or ND filter and but looks like he flashed the subject. I would expect some photoshop enhancements: use color range to darken the sky, high pass sharpening, dodge & burn, and finally apply a color filter. Excellent warm tone b&w PB!</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

Thanks for the interest in my shot and apologies for not being as 'active' a member as I should, I do post on a few forums but now with flickr, twitter facebook and all the other social networking stuff it barely leaves time to take any photos!<br>

This shot recently won a (www.petebarnesphotography.co.uk/2010/10/05/wedding-photographer-of-the-month-award/) wedding photography award by one of the wedding photography directories here (UK) and it remains one of my favourite shots. I think I took this one at maybe my 2nd or 3rd wedding a couple of years ago. As many have pointed out it is a single shot and had a bit of HDR processing. Unfortunately I can recall the exact steps taken in processing this one. I will have probably used dynamic photo HDR (by mediachance as I recall) and not photomatix but I imagine you could get similar results with PM.<br>

I will have overlayed the HDR version on the original and masked, probably used the luminosity blend mode and masked certain areas ie the dress will have more of the HDR with the background having more of the original. added a BW layer and tweaked the blues to go dark (similar to a red filter).<br>

With processing its a case of just experimenting to get something you like and not doing too overboard, you can always go back to the original RAW file if you don't like the results.<br>

I'm glad my shot has promoted a bit of discussion, I'm always happy to give a few tips here and there. If anyone is on twitter if anyone wants to follow me, I usually reply quicker to direct messages.</p>