60D or a 50d which to buy at relatively same price

steve_johnston9

<p>I was looking to buy a 50d, however a friend has offered me a 60d for only £50 more than what I’d get a 50d ( he won it in a competition but is a devout Nikon shooter) .<br>

I remember reading some really negative stuff about the 60D on this website, particularly referring to the Canon 60d as no longer a semi-pro model. I don’t have a preference over sd cards versus compact flash. Given the choice between a 60D or a 50d and a relatively small price difference, what would you buy ?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>referring to the Canon 60d as no longer a semi-pro model</p>

</blockquote>

<p>About the only way you can say the 60D is 'not semi-pro' is that it does not have a magnesium alloy body. After all, it is only plastic just like military aircrat are nowadays (and crash helmets).<br>

The 60D is slightly smaller than the 50D, has teh same sensor as the 7D (with more megapixels if that bothers you) and a fully articulated live view screen for when you take pictures with the camera at awkward angles. But the 50D has microadjust for lens focussing and the nifty little joystick for changing autofocus points.</p>

<p>Despite the probable ergonomic niggles (which I could probably get used to after the 30D) I think I would go for the 60D. </p>

<p>I would first evaluate your needs as a photographer, whether that is just family picture taking, amateur enthusiast or working pro. Do you need video? Megapixels? Better high ISO performance? How fast as in shots per second do you need? If none of these things matter to you and you will be happy with the performance of either camera then i guess it is a matter of price for you. Both are decent cameras, and as long as you </p>

<blockquote>

<p>For 50 quid more, I'd go with a 60D. Does it have its warranty intact?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Canon warranties are not transferable in the USA. Not sure about the mutter country...</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I think Canon mentioned some level of environmental sealing with the 50D in response to stick they were taking over other manufacturers putting weather sealing in their cameras. AFAIK all mention of sealing has dissappeared with the 60D.<br>

Although Canon is so (deliberately?) vague on the issue, I doubt I would trust what they say about sealing anyway.</p>

<p>As for me, I'd probably go for the three steps forward, two steps backwards 60D.</p>

<p>I currently have a 5DMKII and a 50D. I use the latter mostly for nature macro work. I am thinking of replacing it with a 60D because of its swivel screen, it makes macro work close to the ground much more comfortable. Plus, it has HD video, and some new functions inherited from the 7D.<br>

I like my 50D a lot, it is a solid performer, but for only 50 quid more, I would get the 60D. Do not worry about the 60D not being labelled by Canon as a "prosumer" camera anymore (like the 50D was); if you hold a 60D in your hands, it feels solid in every respect.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I chose the 50d due to the user interface - I have a 20d and Elan 7e (film) camera - the dials on all 3 cameras are pretty similar so I can pick up any of the 3 cameras and not really think when adjusting apeture, speed, etc. When I fiddled with the 60d, I did not like the layout of the controls - I hear it's more like the Rebel series. Sure, the swivel screen and movie capabilities were kinda cool, but again, the layout of the controls on the 60d was a deal-breaker for me. </p>