First Timer / outdoor event logistics

geoff_cardillo

<p>hi - i'm going to be setting-up a "stand", if you will, at a local park to shoot photos. the subjects will be families attending a local halloween parade with their kids. i'm setting-up a simple background.</p>

<p>i'll be shooting with a nikon d300, nikon F3.5 AF-S DX 18-200mm lens and nikon sb-600 flash. </p>

<p>i'm thinking about a fixed focal-length 85mm 1.8 or 105mm 1.8 to rent instead of using the aforementioned F3.5 AF-S DX 18-200mm lens. i'll have full-length shots along with 3/4 (for parents holding toddlers in hand) and possibly close-ups of really little infants. i will have room to step closer and further away from the subject - although i will not have infinite room behind me. </p>

<p>i'd also like to get recommendations on pros/cons of an external battery pack like the mb-d10 - and whether or not i should rent a backup body (i only have the d300 body). </p>

<p>finally, i'm thinking about just going with a white background - but since i'll be shooting around 9am-noon, i'm not sure at 100% white background is best. if you have any recommendations on background color and whether i should use paper or fabric, that would be great.</p>

<p>on top of it all, it's the first time i'm shooting for 3 hours. any thoughts / recommendations on best practices?</p>

<p>many, many thanks for taking the time to respond.</p>

<p>best,</p>

<p>geoff</p>

<p>You likely will need a second battery for the D300. I'd forego the battery grip and just keep a spare battery on hand. As far as a white backdrop, without the proper lighting you likely won't be happy with the results. Since your SB-600 isn't enough to render the background white while keeping the subject(s) properly lit, I would opt for a natural backdrop or perhaps a wall or other "location scenic". You will have more versatility with the 18-200 which will make composition easier. Without knowing more about the location and light conditions at the time of exposure its very difficult to offer advice on what you should do, however, you should in most instances be able to use the SB-600 for just a kiss of fill light while the available light is used for the main exposure values. Expose for the background and use TTL mode with a -1 ev value as a place to start and adjust the flash level from there. I would strongly urge you to consider F/8 or F/11 as the prefered aperature (if possible), that way you'll keep everything in focus. These type of shots are more "run and gun", people will be happy with a good snapshot. If you decide to use a seamless or muslin, make sure you use sand bags for the stands and secure the backdrop well as just the slightest breeze will create a major problem. Don't overthink it, just keep it simple and fun, avoid strong contrast with the natural light, nail the exposure/composition and your customers will be hapy.</p>

<p>Some thoughts:</p>

<ul>

<li>Shoot int he shade - it's going to be hard to control lighting in the middle of the day with just an SB600. If you eliminate direct sunlight you'll be better off.</li>

<li>If you're shooting in a park, I am not sure a background is need, just use some nice grass and trees as background. I'd avoid paper for sure, as wind will make a mess of it and you'll be sorry you got a roll of paper on location.</li>

<li>You'll need an extra battery just in case, not a grip.</li>

<li>You dont need another lens, the one you have is fine for this type of work.</li>

<li>Avoid having the subject receiving less light than tbe background, unless you're going for a high key look - for example placing the subjects in the shade, but having the background in full sun will give you an overexposed background unless you use the flash as the main light. This will slow you down and consume batteries. </li>

<li>The important thing is to relax your subjects and get natural expressions. The simpler the setup, the easier it'll be to focus on the interaction and not the equipment.</li>

<li>Scout the place and practice so that you know exactly how you're going to work it.</li>

<li>May want to shoot in RAW format so that you can change exposure and whitebalance in post. If not, make sure your white balance is right - in a park outside color temperature may be high.</li>

</ul>

<p>Good luck and share your results!</p>

<p>Geoff:</p>

<p>I'd pay careful attention to the wind conditions and do a trial run beforehand. It doesn't take much wind for your sail...err...background to become a weapon.</p>

<p>I'd do it with a natural background and keep it simpler. You're in a park! Why try to make it look like a studio?</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>Geoff, believe me, I'm Mr. Long Lens, but I think 28-50mm will be more the ticket for most of this. Working with even the 85mm I think is going to be too restricted. I have done stuff like this and set up a few hay bails, corn stalks and pumpkins etc. too. Enjoy the shoot.</p>

I second what Paco has said and would add the following additional suggestions:

<p>A second body would provide the necessary backup should your primary camera fail. In your case, a second D300 would do nicely. I would recommend a second (backup) flash too.

<p>Carry plenty of spare batteries for your SB-600. I have heard good things about Eneloops. I use Energizer rechargeables and they have worked well for me over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>thanks everyone - i appreciate your responses...<br>

the shoot went pretty well. i used the backdrop because, even though i was in a 'park', it was really a playground - in brooklyn. so there weren't too many 'green' places...<br>

things weren't perfect, but i did learn a lot...here are the results, if you're interested:<br>

http://geoffcardillo.zenfolio.com/halloween</p>

<p>best,<br>

geoff</p>