Seeking advices for buying a gitzo tripod

yanzhang

<p>My current berno tripod is not working (one leg is completely loosen). Instead of fixing it, I am considering to buy a gitzo tripod. The one I am considering is Gitzo GT2531EX. But I don't really know much about this tripod, hope photographers here who have experiences of using it can give me some information and advices. <br /> <br />I travel a lot, I need a relatively light weight tripod, Gitzo GT2531EX is about 1.8kg, so this one seems OK to me. I also need a small minimum height sometimes for taking photographs, this one has a minimum height of 3 cm. <br /> <br />I am using 5D Mark II and lenses are 16-35mm f/2.8II and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. <br>

<br /> Anothere quesiton: may I use my current berno ball head to this gitzo tripod? My current berno ball head is able to support<br />upto 20kg. Thanks very much for your input. <br /> <br />Yan </p>

<p>Your choice of the tripod is just fine. However, the problem is that you travel a lot. If you fly a lot AND want to keep the tripod with you in the cabin, GT 2531EX may not suit your need because it is 65cm long when retracted and airlines don't allow you to bring a tripod into the cabin that is longer than 60cm.</p>

<p>Many people recommend a 3-section tripod over a 4-section one and I agree with them, but it might be better for your need to consider a 4-section model. So long as your Benro ballhead has a 1/4' or 3/8' thread to mount it onto the tripod, it can be used with any Gitzo tripods without problem.</p>

<p>Your choice of a GT2531EX is a good one. It will steady a lens up to 300mm under most field conditions. The 3-section tripod is the best choice for a #2 Gitzo. The 4-section is more portable, but the legs are too thin for general use. I've used a G-1227 (which is the same size) successfully for most things, up to a 4x5 Sinar monorail.</p>

<p>The 2531 is too big for carryon, but so is any tripod sturdy enough for general use. It's a little long to fit in a standard 24" suitcase, so you will have to remove the column and partly disassemble the legs. That's easy to do - I've done it many times for travel. Use rubber bands to keep the upper bushings in place, and wrap the threaded ends of the legs to keep grease (if any) away from your clothes.</p>

<p>I keep the head with me in the camera bag. If your luggage gets lost, it's a lot easier to find a set of legs at your destination than another good head.</p>

<p>You will need a short (stub) column if you want to get low to the ground. I carry one in my camera bag just in case.</p>