SH 18-200mm VR I question for actual users

marius_mirea

<p>Just purchased an used copy of the 18-200mm DX VR I. Very happy with it, works 100% as advertised. AF is snappy and silent, VR working.<br /> My question is related to the audible (yet very faint) click when the VR kicks in. Is it normal or it is a sign of beginning of VR system failure? I am asking because neither my 18-105 VR nor the 70-300 VR have this click.<br /> Thanks!</p>

<p>Marius</p>

<p>I had one. The click is totally normal. And the fact that your 70-300 doesn't have it mystifies me, because mine is LOUD when it kicks in, and the VR operation is louder than my 18-200 was (reviews have stated this is the case, btw). </p>

<p>If your 18-200 is louder than your 70-300 it may or may not be an issue. I don't know that I would fret, though.</p>

<p>On a side note, the one truly silent lens I've used is my 18-70. Obviously no VR, but you CAN NOT hear that lens focus. Why can't they make 'em all that way?</p>

<p>It is always difficult to diagnose cameras and lenses over the web, but a faint click sound when VR is engaged seems normal.</p>

<p>Recently I got to test the Tamron 70-300mm/f4-5.6 Di VC (VC is like VR). When VC is engaged, you can see that the image in the viewfinder jumps: <a href="../equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamron/70-300di-vc/</a></p>