A MF Backpack?

jason_burke

<p>I have a great Lowepro backpack for my dSLR and all of my lenses, flash, etc., all of the dividers are made for it. I have a messenger bag for when I want to take less gear, again cut for SLR type equipment.</p>

<p>Is there anything made for Medium Format gear?</p>

<p>I am looking for a backpack or messenger style bag. I like to hike/travel with my RB67, and the lack of good transportation is crimping my style. It should hold the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>RB67 with tripod plate and 90mm lens</li>

<li>180mm lens</li>

<li>Flash</li>

<li>Extra back</li>

<li>Polaroid back</li>

<li>Film</li>

<li>Well, you get the idea...</li>

</ul>

<p>Any suggestions?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I had a similar question a while back: http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00WzZQ</p>

<p>In the end I went for the Lowepro Photo Trekker 300 and I'm very happy with it... You really need to try it on with all your gear though. I think the side pocket for a water bag hydration system was a nice touch really useful for those hikes on warmer days...</p>

<p>Rgds<br>

Rick</p>

<p>You don't really have all that much stuff. I had a Tamrac shoulder bag that converted to a backpack that I carried two RB bodies in with 3 backs, 5 lenses and two polaroid backs--and two prisms. Calumet makes a really nice large backpack with a computer compartment--good for a light jacket and such.</p>

<p>Maybe.... But I have carried 1 Pentax 67 II body, 1 Prism, 4 x 67 lenses, a Nikon 35mm body, 3 x Nikon lenses, filters, meter and flash all in there... so it does hold a fair bit... they also have a 400 model which is bigger... anyways, just a suggestion...</p>

<p>The difficulty here is not so much the amount of stuff, as the bulkiness. Most photo backpacks are not made to take a camera as tall or shaped like the RB67. I find the best carriers for medium format systems are larger shoulder bags like the Billingham 445 -- they are tall, wide and easier to work out of. Of course, the weight can wear on you, especially if you are hiking. Lowepro bags are great to carry for hiking, but not that great to work out of (you have to take them off, lay them down, undo taped zippers are that are quite tight (in my bag at least)...). I use a Nature Trekker of some sort -- it has great support and is very good for carrying a heavy kit, but it is a bit of a bear to work with at times. They are expensive, but you might want to look at the Kiboko bag by GuraGear. I have seen one in person and it was really nice. It might be a good solution for a bag that can carry a lot but is easier to work from and not so heavy. </p>

<p>The problem with medium format is finding enough headspace in a backpack. The partitions themselves can be rearranged as needed. If you have at least 6" depth, the flexibility of the cover can usually accommodate anything sticking above the partitions. Everything is bigger for medium format, so a fairly large backpack is required.</p>

<p>For medium format, I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker. The partitions are 6" deep, and I can fit (with some effort) a Hasselblad 555ELD with a PM45 prism, which is just under 9" tall. Think Tank Photo backpacks (and rollers) have more headspace than corresponding Lowepro bags, and deserve consideration. I have an older "Airport Addicted" bag which I used for a handycam video kit. It is 9" deep in the lower section (the newer ones are not stepped).</p>

<p>It's hard to keep a medium format kit under 16#, which is about as heavy as you want to go with a shoulder bag for more than a couple of hours, or when climbing or descending. I can go 8 hours or more with a 30# backpack, with much more stability on stairs or hills.</p>

<p>While i haven't received my lens yet, my RB67 Pro-S will *easily* fit in my KATA 3n1-30 camera backpack.</p>

<p>The camera and mounted lens will go in the center space easily accessed by a quick-release buckle/zipper combo, any extra backs can reside below that (easily accessed through the main quick access panel or a 2-way zipper), extra lenses can go above (accessed same way as the backs). In the top "pocket", i can store filters, light-meter, sandwich, lotsa space. Furthermore, there is another pocket on each side which can hold film, remote releases, cleaning cloths, etc.</p>

<p>I have a few LowePro bags, most notably the Nova 4 AW, which will hold the camera, back and lens and a bit of film. However, the Kata is higher quality and better/smarter design - though admittedly a different style bag altogether. I've also looked at the LowePro backpacks and Slingbags, but the Kata is simply a step up from the LowePro offerings.</p>