You experience with Sigma 50mm f1.4 on a D90

sun_p

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<p>After some feedback from helpful users here and checking on the availability of lenses, I am thinking of getting the sigma 50 mm .14 primarily because on the D90 it will be around 75mm and would be good for portraits. Also, because I hear the bokeh is really creamy and nice compared to the nikon 50 1.4 af-s where the lens is sharp but the bokeh is bad especially when the background has highlights etc. However, I heard the sigma too is not great wide open.</p>

<p>Can anyone who has this lens share their opinion please? My primary usage will be for portraits, fashion, low light, natural portraits.</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> Sun</p>

<p>I bought it for my D90 after reading the opinions from many here, and I love it! It is designed for casual people photography when you cannot control the background, and the bokeh is indeed creamy and much nicer than any Nikon lenses in the same fl. If you read the review, this lens is sharper than the new Nikon 50/1.4 in the center wide open, although stopping down, the Nikon has slightly better corner sharpness, which IMO, is not critical for candids. My only issue with this lens is that compared to a Nikon pro lens, such as the 17-55/2.8, its AF hunts a bit when the light level is low. </p>

<p>I use that lens on a D300. In terms of optical characteristics, that's just like using the D90. <br /><br />That is one of my favorite lenses, <em>especially </em>when I use it wide open or nearly so. All the way open at f/1.4 (no matter what lens you're using), the razor thin depth of field can be a real liability, so you just have to know that about using fast lenses.<br /><br />The Sigma is really built around using it with a wider aperture. The Nikon counterpart seems built around more general use, and shines when stopped down a bit more. So it comes down to how you'll be using it. I was out in some bad light shooting this weekend, and reached for that 50/1.4 frequently. Here's a full frame from the Sigma on a DX body with the same sensor as your D90. Mind you, this was shot at ISO 400 since we were under dark clouds ... so, it would be a bit nicer down at ISO 200.</p><div>00XUYO-290871584.jpg.0976c3a4ad61cc9fa0732215a8ceb865.jpg</div>

<p>I love my Sigma 30mm f1.4 but only after I adjusted for a significant back focus problem. My friend who also owns this lens alerted me to it. The D300 has this adjustment option, not sure about other bodies. </p>

<p>My suggestion to owners of this lens - test it out. I did wide open by focusing on a small portion of a ruler and noticed more sharpness in back of my chosen focus point. I made the adjustment in camera and now it's perfect. </p>

<p>Thanks Matt. Great photograph. I also intent to use it wide open mostly and Bokeh being one of the reasons for considering this lens. My only concern is what Adam mentions. I don't think there is any adjustment option in the D90. I hope the one I get does not have this problem.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Matt-I just got my Sigma 50 1.4 and am in love with it so far. Just what I was looking for. The nikon 50 1.8 even stopped down is not as good as the sigma, strangely. Thanks for your advice. Last time around for the 30 1.4 sigma also I had gone with your and Eric Arnold's advice and love that lens also. :)<br>

So I have my range covered, with the 30, 50 sigma and 105 2.8 nikkor. I guess, I might come back to this forum for advice on a tele zoom. </p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Sun</p>