Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II -vs.- HP Photosmart S20 Scanner

lidation

Wanna buy a negative scanner. Now can't decide which one to go, the

Dimage Scan Dual II or the HP Photosmart S20. How are their

performance as related to color depth and color correction? Both of

them get "Awesome, Very good performance for the price range" reviews.

The Minolta, as a dedicated film scanner does perform better for scanning film than the flatbed HP. The HP is nice, but it isn't as sharp as the minolta, nor does it pull out as much detail. The minolta is also dropping in price as the new Dual III has been announced. I would suggest the minolta Dual II and a separate flatbed for scanning reflectives.

I'm not sure it's fair to call the S20 a "flatbed". Although it can handle small reflective originals, it's not a traditional flatbed at all. That said, the Minolta will likely be the superior unit.

As to "color correction", that has nothing to do with the scanner hardware. Which has the superior software out of the box I can't say. VueScan works with both, I believe.

"Color depth" is 12-bit with the HP, and 16 with the Minolta (although some reports suggest the effective range to be about 14 bits). Again, Minolta leads. Note that in order to take advantage of color depths above 8 bit the scanning software has to support saving files of greater than 24-bit depth. Most don't. In addition, your image editor has to support working with these high-depth files. Again, most don't. Ask. Hardware specs mean nothing if you can't get the data out and manipulated.

As the owner of the HP Photosmart S20 I would NOT recemmend it. I do not own the Minolta so I can't say anything about it, except that I would go with Minolta over the HP. The S20 is cheaply built, always dirty, etc. Mine is three years old and the actual scanning device is going out. It can only scan up to five frames at a time, and then you have to rescan each individual frame to get a final scan. If you're looking for quality in a film scanner get the latest edition of the highest priced model you can afford. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for in film scanners.