Southwest trip this November - need advice

sheying

<p >I'll be in Arizona and Utah at the end of November. I would really appreciate any info I could get about:....<br>

Best time of day and location for Antelope Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon and Monument Valley.<br>

I have a DX camera and 10.5mm FishEye, 17-55mm, 70-200mm and 70-300mm VR. I'm leaning towards leaving the 70-200 behind (heavy) - what do you think?<br>

Anything else I can't do without? Any recommended places to stay?<br>

Thanks a lot<br>

Sheying</p><div>00XTIB-289869684.jpg.195eda388c0b78dfb36fa25a8caa6abc.jpg</div>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">Antelope Canyon - mid day when sun is high is best. Otherwise you won't get the dramatic light because the canyon is deep and narrow. I did both upper and lower canyon, both are great.</p>

<p dir="ltr">As with almost all photography sunrise and sunset best for the rest you mentioned.</p>

<p dir="ltr">Bryce Canyon - there are a number of lookout points. Have a drive around to see what you like best. Each view offers unique views all amazing. Sunset point is the most classic view and my favorite. I recommend doing as many walks are you can to get best photos.</p>

<p dir="ltr">Monument Valley - you are only allowed to drive around the designated path unless you have a guide or special permit. So just drive and pick your points for when the light is nice.</p>

</p>

<p dir="ltr">Zion Canyon - Lots of good walks. Narrows is most famous if you don't mind getting your feet wet, but obviously not for sunrise or sunset.<br>

<p>Bring a polarizing filter.</p>

<br>

Good luck,<br />Patrick <br /><a href="http://www.patrickperon.com/Galleries/USA-Southwest.asp">Photos from my Southwest trip</a></p>

<p>I was in Bryce last summer, as well as Grand Canyon and Zion. Bryce is only about 1,000 feet deep and easy enough to walk down into. You can get some wonderful "hoodoo photos" at sunrise and sunset, but they will look just like ten thousand others. Walk down into the canyon during the day and you can get some wonderful stuff - some of my favorite photos from that trip are from down in the canyon, looking up. </p>

<p>Zion, what Patrick P says. Antelope Canyon, too. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Antelope Canyon - mid day when sun is high is best.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I will do more research on that. The photographer's tour departs at 9:30AM on Oct-Feb. (source: http://www.antelopecanyon.com/extended_tour.html)</p>

<p>Assuming the Upper is always busy, I would recommend signing up for the photographer's tour. You'd be in there for 2 hours; the first hour the tourist's tours are still there, the second hour just you and other photographers so you can shoot more without worrying about the people traffic.</p>

<p>Horsehoe Bend is only minutes from to Antelope Canyon, so check if you can make time to stop by.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>My Antelope Canyon Photo Tour guide suggested going to the far end of the canyon and work back to the entrance in order to avoid the non-photographer tourists. I found the tip very accurate. The 2 hour tour is adequate time - the 1 hour is rushed. In the upper canyon be sure to find 2 formations: the bear and the cardinal as they made for my most interesting shots. Look up while in the canyon as there are interesting formations around the openings up top. You have to work angles in these shots in order to avoid shooting right into the bright sky.</p>