24-70 f2.8 out of stock

bikealps

<p>B&H, Adorama, and one other website claim the 24-70 f2.8 is out of stock and do not state when it will be available again.</p>

<p>Does anybody have an idea why? Do temporary outages happen often? I would assume Nikon can forecast consumption of these lenses well and would make sure they have enough manufacturing capacity for a mainstream tool like this. The 24-70 was introduced 3 years ago, but it doesn't seem to me like they need to update it, so I'm assuming they are not intentionally depleting inventory.</p>

<p>Any idea when the 24-70 will be available again?</p>

<p>Alternatives are the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and Sigma 24-70. I'm really not happy with the Nikon pricetag, especially having just shelled out for the 70-200 VR2, but I can definitely wait several months. I prefer to buy only Nikon lenses because I don't want surprises like poor AF performance, sample variation, etc. I wouldn't risk an off-brand on the 70-200 because AF performance is so important to me, but AF speed isn't such a big deal on a 24-70.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would assume Nikon can forecast consumption of these lenses well and would make sure they have enough manufacturing capacity for a mainstream tool like this.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't consider the 24-70 f2.8 to be mainstream at all. Maybe mainstream for professionals but Nikon probably sells 100-1000 times as many 18-55 DX lenses. Nikon is actually notorious for production problems. Just today Thom Hogan posted about Nikon's production problems. http://bythom.com/<br>

You can read even more here by searching for "inventory" and "chronic" and "production" http://bythom.com/2010%20Nikon%20News.htm</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I don't consider the 24-70 f2.8 to be mainstream at all."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I did a double-take at that one too. Hard to regard any non-essential item costing over $1,500 as mainstream. An excellent lens and reasonable value, sure. But it's no 18-55 DX or 18-70 DX.</p>

<p>Considering various global economic complications the past couple of years it's a wonder how well manufacturers of expensive, non-essential items - including Nikon - do manage to keep up with demand most of the time.</p>

<p>If you don't need the latest and greatest, there is always the 28-70mm F2.8 (an anvil weight-wise) or even the 35-70 F2.8 (lighter, screwdriver push-pull zoom lens), which can be had for a bargain. I still use the latter, and got it back recently after a C&L. Still works like new after over a decade of use.</p>

<p>Thanks Eric; there must be a new shipment to all dealers.</p>

<p>I have both the 35-70mm/f2.8 AF and 28-70mm/f2.8 AF-S. I would say having 24mm is a big advantage for the FX format; the difference between 28 and 24mm is quite significant and gives you a lot more wide flexabilities.</p>

<p>Thom Hogan has complained about the lack of VR, but with modern high ISO capabilities, f2.8 is sufficient in most situations. Subject motion is the limitations for a lot of these event/party lenses that VR will not help much.</p>

<p>I wish I had bought one when it was available around $1400 or so 2 years ago.</p>

<p>having 24-70 vs 28-70 is an even bigger advantage if you plan on starting out on DX and upgrading to FX when the "next camera" comes out<br>

given that Nikon is claiming more Mpixels AND better ISO on the D7000, it appears they have developed better sensor technology. I read a journal paper this spring (ISSCC, I think) explaining their flip processing for the current generation. If Nikon has improved the quantum efficiency of their sensors, it's only a matter of time before this shows up in a FX body.<br>

given their manufacturing limitations, I guess they are working on satisfying the DX market and we all get to wait a while longer.<br>

although Nikon has limitations, they make GREAT products -- excellent quality, capabilities, and reliability. You gotta love them! Just gotta wait a while.</p>