Epson 700 vs Plustek 7600

<p>All,<br>

I've been searching through the forums to try to make this decision. It 'seems' to me that the Epson 700 is a higher end flatbed scanner and the Plustek is a lower end film scanner. It 'seems' that the Epson has a higher DMAX. (= better results, no?). Since I've never had my hands on either, I'm relying on what I'm reading.<br>

I'm looking for a scanner primarily for BW 35mm film. What I can't seem to get my head around is, everyone says flatbeds aren't as good for film scanning as a dedicated unit, but the Nikon's are WAY out of my budget, the Plustek is pretty much the only new unit I've seen (affordable), so I'm comparing the Epson to the Plustek as potential purchases.<br>

Any advice to help make the decision?</p>

<p>I wouldn't call the Plustek low end. It produces quite nice scans in my experience, and the multi-exposure trick works very nicely. It does rely on an manual feed, and that can be a pain if you are scanning in a lot of images and want to do batches. I usually only end up scanning an image or two from each roll, so I like it.<br>

I found scanning black and white film to be crazy making, though.</p>

<p>Have U tried scanning in color mode..? I am not sure U can do this with the Plustek. But most likely with the Epson. I've had good results with occasional scans of medium format on the 700. One can then do whatever in the Shop and finally reverse to bl. & white.<br>

Depending on Ur file size needs, the Epson scans at a true dpi value of +/- 2400, which makes the higher D-max rather fictious. The Plustek produces about 3400. From what I know even one of the lesser Nikon scanners, like the V model or the 4000 will give U better results than either of the above. Both are fairly slow though. Also check out the rather inexpensive Canon flatbed.</p>

<p>Wolf, no, I don't have a scanner at the moment; I'm trying to make my purchase decision. From what I'm reading, color is concerning me less because the various dust reduction functions work with it as opposed to black and white. I've begun processing my own BW ('begun' is not accurate - more like for the first time in 25 years! :) ) and am enjoying it very much and am working on pulling together a downstream digital work-flow.</p>

<p>Interesting point you make on the DMAX of the Epson...</p>

<p>http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html<br>

Check out this German website which delivers scanner test results in English as well. It is the best I know of. Without anything in return their free advice has indirectly helped me make decisions, avoid mistakes and save.<br>

One thing U might consider would be to print or have quality prints made of shots that are important to you. Once scanned on a flatbed U could then improve on the prints in the <em>Shop</em>, if U know how to obtain maximum results via the sw. 5x7 for prints up to 11x14. 8x10 for, say, up to 16x20. Of course one can always up-sample towards even larger. Just a thought.</p>