Linhof Technica III - Rangefinder repair +

kparratt

<p><strong>1.</strong> No, I have no intention of attempting this myself (having respect for both the equipment and those qualified to repair them)<br /> <strong>2.</strong> Yes, I know that Linhof discontinued repair of this model some time ago.<br /> <strong>3.</strong> I would like to know first if <strong>repairing the rangefinder</strong> is a major operation.<br /> When I first handled the camera, there was a rattling around of something, and I soon noticed that the rangefinder is non-functional. There is a mirror, or a prism adrift inside the rangefinder housing. I do not even want to peel of any leatherette to see if there is any direct access to the mechanism. It seems as though maybe the loose component has become un-cemented.<br /> I <em>can</em> live without the rangefinder, but there are many occasions when it would be useful.<br /> <strong>4</strong>. I would dearly love a <strong>grid screen</strong> for architecture and copy work. Should I just keep this camera for protrait? I can not see how the screen can be replaced.<br /> Having had use of this early model has been helpful. I can now appreciate the developments of the next 50 years, and will purchase another when possible. Because another thing is the need to use roll film. I have a couple of Super Rollex magazines.<br /> Thanks in advance.<br /> Kevin.<br /> I am in Europe for now so it will need to be looked at either in London or Germany.<br /> (This Technika was acquired from the estate of a deceased friend. I will continue to use it and take care of it.)</p>

<p>kevin,</p>

<p>i don't know for sure but maybe my suggestions are some help in deciding.<br>

1. i believe you will have to find somebody who can handle two issues: repairing the rangefinder and cutting cams for a III.<br>

i believe richard ritter in the u.s. does this. google for lg4mat/net. i know you said london or germany ...<br>

i have an address somewhere in munich that handles older technikas, but it will take some time to find it. if i do i will post it.</p>

<p>i could imagine the mirrors having come loose. aligning all the components will be the job to do.<br>

i have a III i have fitted with a later back (V) to be able to use the super rollex backs. but this means you would first have to find the camera rotating back, then get the rangefinder repaired, a cam cut for the individual lens and the infinity stop notched (no infinity stops on the III) this is quite a job and it is the question whether you love your camera so much to invest time, headache and money to get it done. i did quite a bit on it but later decided to get a V that works beautifully with cams cut at linhof munich.<br>

replacing a gg for a gridded one should not be too much of a problem yet depending on the model of your present back.<br>

probably the thickness needs adjustment to have the correct focus in the end.</p>

<p>hope this helps a bit?</p>

<p>Thanks Douglas.<br>

I do actually have a cam for the 90 mm Angulon, so that's ok. ... and the probably the 150 too. I will go on a German forum to see if I can find some Technika expertise. But yes, that there would be someone in Munich should not be a surprise.<br>

My thoughts too are towards a Technika V, instead of spending time and money modifying this camera, perhaps with exception of gg screen with grid. I've been gravitating towards 5x7 too. Funds permitting, I'd get a new Master Technika in a heartbeat.<br>

I'll come back here too with any status updates.<br>

Cheers, Kevin. .. and yes it is a help. ;-) </p>

<p>kevin,</p>

<p>this is the name i have for you of a person who obviously repairs and handles old technikas:</p>

<p>Zgonjanin GmbH<br>

Langbürgener Strasse 2<br>

81549 München<br />Germany<br />Bundesrepublik Deutschland <br /> Telefonnummer: (089) 62899946 <br /> Telefaxnummer: (089) 62899947</p>

<p>the other idea: have you spoken to linhof-studio, image House, 204 Leigh Road<br>

Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, SS9 1BS, fon +44(0)1702 716116</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="10" height="3" align="center">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td></td>

<td rowspan="2" width="34%">

<strong><br /></strong>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="66%"></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>best of luck,</p>

<p>douglas</p>

<p>Brilliant Douglas!<br>

I had just thought of Linhof Studio in England yes, because I'd had some other communications with them a year ago. As for the German fellow, I will certainly make a point of contacting him. Have other things to do in Germany too, so will make a round trip of it.<br>

You are the salt of the Earth.<br>

Thanks again.<br>

Kevin</p><div>00XTxw-290411584.jpg.6854563b677ac4eb85b400d2346409fa.jpg</div>

<p>kevin,<br>

lovely camera, almost the same as mine before i converted it with several IV and V parts to my requieries.<br>

especially the front centered tilt was an improvemet as well as the later model back that allowed for the super rollex.<br>

well, all of the models from the III onwards are very special and beautiful. now we only need to take pictures that meet their quality.<br>

best regards</p>

<p>Yes the movements on my model III are limited, certainly when compared with the current Master Technika Classic, which I expect is similar to the V, shown in this <a href="http://linhof.de/master_technika_classic.html"><strong>www.Linhof.de</strong></a> illustration.<br /> Although when requiring such movements, for me it is mostly studio work, so it would make sense to get a Kardan, and have even more flexibily and for less cost. And keep the Technika for portrait and landscape/architecture.</p><div>00XUMB-290699584.jpg.2db16585edfe5a93918e8c5aa59978c3.jpg</div>