and the 2450. Besides the addition of Firewire, LaserSoft

SilverFast, and a 7 msec/line 256 gray level scanning speed increase

on the 2450 I can�t seem to find any other differences between the

two units. Unfortunately, I can�t find any reviews on the 2400 to

seal my decision (buying the 2400). The one review I did find

(www.zdnet.com) stated �Although most users will find the Perfection

2400 Photo more than adequate, those with a real photographic eye may

want to step up to the Perfection 2450 Photo.� I don�t understand

why this would be based on the comparison I have made.

I�m sure I�m missing something and was hoping that someone could lift

the fog for me . . . is the 2450 worth the extra $200?

"I think we will see a new model above that. 2500, perhaps?"

3200dpi/48bit - model GT-9800F - for release in Japan in Nov 2002, and whenever for the rest of the world :

http://www.i-love-epson.co.jp/products/scanner/gt9800f/9800f2.htm

Same body shell as 2450, but obviously an upgrade. Don't hold your breath, just buy what you need now. I recently purchased the 2450 (mostly for 120 and above)and so far very happy.

James...same problem for me! I think the 2400 will only scan 35mm, From the pictures I have seen, It looks as though the lid light panel is much smaller. Also, the 2400 weighs 1/2 as much as the 2450. I am going to take the advice to wait a month or so, I think it will be worth it.

Here is the contents of a previous thread that asked the same question.

------------------------------------

Epson 2400, 2450: difference?

Does anyone know if there is a difference in scan quality between Epson 2400 and Epson 2450, or are they essentially the same?

-- Jakob Norstedt-Moberg , October 03, 2002; 09:19 A.M. Eastern

Answers

Since the 2400 is so new, I am not familiar with its scan quality. It's specs say that it has the same optical resolution as the 2450.

I think the main differences in the 2 models is that the 2450 has a Firewire/ IEEE 1394 connection, as well as USB, and has a larger transparency unit that is large enough to scan MF and LF. The 2400 is only big enough to scan 35mm film strips.

-- Erin Schrad , October 03, 2002; 01:45 P.M. Eastern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently compared the 2 models at my local Sam's club. The only difference that I can see in the two (based on printed specs and examining the two physically) is:

1) The 2450 has Firewire support. Not a big deal since USB 2.0 is supposedly faster than Firewire.

2) The 2450 transparency illuminator on the underside of the lid is larger. The 2400 looks like it's only large enough to illuminate a 35mm strip.

3) The 2450 is slightly larger in overall size. I'm not sure why since the flatbed scan area is the same on both units.

4) The 2450 is listed on websites as having Scanview(?) included but there is no mention of a particular scanning software on the box. There are no mentions of Scanview for the 2400.

I bought the 2450 but haven't tried/opened it out yet. I'm considering taking the money and getting a Minolta Scan Duel 2 and buying just a cheap sub $100 flatbed scanner. It'll be a little more than buying the 2450 but will deliver more versatility and much better results.

-- Thang Hoang (Hackettstown, NJ) , October 03, 2002; 02:42 P.M. Eastern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"USB 2.0 is supposedly faster than Firewire."

A Cnet reviewer says that although stated speed for USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/sec, versus stated speed of 400 Mb/sec for Firewire, he gets faster speeds thru Firewire.

-- Bill Tuthill , October 03, 2002; 02:51 P.M. Eastern

OK. Scratch that point. :-(

-- Thang Hoang (Hackettstown, NJ) , October 03, 2002; 05:20 P.M. Eastern

The 2450 comes with masks for MF and 4x5, whereas you have to pay extra to get them for the 2400. The two scanners are the same size. Main difference is interfaces - the 2450 has Firewire; the 2400 uses the newer (and faster) USB2 interface.

-- Gavin Walker , October 03, 2002; 07:20 P.M. Eastern

2450 can scan up to 6x9 neg

-- W Gibson , October 03, 2002; 09:55 P.M. Eastern

The epson 2450 can scan up to a 4 inch by 9 inch negative

-- Kelly Flanigan , October 04, 2002; 02:43 A.M. Eastern

One correction. The 2450 is listed as coming with SilverFast scan software...not Viewscan as I had mentioned.

The 2450 comes with masks for MF and 4x5, whereas you have to pay extra to get them for the 2400. The two scanners are the same size. Main difference is interfaces - the 2450 has Firewire; the 2400 uses the newer (and faster) USB2 interface.

It doesn't matter if you get the masks for medium format or not for the 2400. It's transparency illuminator in the lid is significantly smaller than the one on the 2450. It appears only large enough for 35mm. Go look at the 2 side by side and you'll see what I mean.

Also, I'm quite sure (I'll have to look on mine to make sure) that the 2450 does support USB 2.0 just like the 2400.

Check out these 2 links for more info.

Epson 2450 specs:note the mention of USB 2.0

Look at the size of the 2400's transparency illuminator;it's much narrower and smaller than on the 2450

-- Thang Hoang (Hackettstown, NJ) , October 04, 2002; 12:04 P.M. Eastern

<p>In the <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003t9k">other thread</a> it was reported, that the light source of the Perfection 2400 model is 58mm wide. As the 6x6 MF format is 54 by 54mm (if I am right), this would be sufficient. The question now is, if illumination is even enough to get reasonable scans.

<p>

Does somebody have real hands-on experience on this?

<p>

Thanks, Philippe

• 1 month later...
I bought a epson 2400 and I couldn't be happier. The light lid is almost wide enough for a for a 2.25 original. The actual width it lets you scan for transparencies and negs is 4.83cm - good enough for 6x4.5 or a format crop on a 6x6. I understand it is not as sharp as a dedicated film scanner, but I've scanned some absolute crap and been astounded with the quality I've been able to pull out of it. The 48 bit depth is a lot of fun to work with!

I recently purchased the 2450 and use it for larger negatives, and I'm really happy with it, except it scans slow, so I went out an got a USB2 card with 4 ports. I timed a scan on two different sized negatives, using my new USB2 port and the old computer USB1 port and darned if the times for scanning weren't the same. Does anyone else know if the scanner is supposed to scan faster with USB2?

The 2400 can scan larger negatives than 35mm. One, you can buy the larger illuminator, but it costs ~$100. Two, you can use the built in illuminator for 6x6, 6x7, or 6x9 negatives (or transparencies of course) if you can live with a slight crop along the width. Here is an example from a 6x6 negative scanned this way:

http://www.lsmsa.edu/jshaw/bw4.html

I'm tempted to try to fool the software by making a slightly wider cut out in a homemade carrier. I think the scan width is set by the "notch" at the top of the holder. The longer dimension of the scan can be manually selected in the twain so a rectangular negative is just as easy to scan as a square one. You must turn off the automatic thumbnails though in the software before trying this.

John

I found that you don't need the carrier or mask when you scan, the carrier only holds the negative sort of flat, so it can't curl. The distance from the glass seems to have several opinions as to sharpness. One test said if the negative was flat on the glass, it is sharper, another person ran a series of critical tests and found that about 1/16th of an inch from the glass is the sharpest, which is what the carrier is; however, since all negatives are going to sag at the center, I don't know how you maintain flatness unless you use thin glass under it. The notch at the top of the carrier is only a distance guide, if you put your negative at the top of the scanner table, you will get a lot of streaking. I also found that various photo programs, such as Photoshop sometimes end up with black screens whereas Paint Shop Pro 7 doesn't. I also came to the conclusion the USB2 feature is hype, the scanner is not fast enough for either USB2 or 1. A final note, if you scan with the glossy side of the negative down, the right way, you can sometimes get 'rings' on the image, most evident in the sky. I have the 2450 model. Great but slow except in the flatbed mode.

Ron,

I placed the 6x6 negative on the glass, emulsion side down to avoid Newton rings, and used the negative carrier set on top of the negative strip to hold it flat.

I assumed the scanner used the slot to detect the size of the negative since it is the same width as the filmstrip's short side or the slide's slidemount--depending which way you set the carrier the scanner sets a default width in the TWAIN. I may try taping the negatives to the glass as a test of this and see if I can bypass the software's settings. The defults may also be set by the ligtsource's cable. How does the scanner detect that it should use the larger accessory light source width s? Anyone know?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an observation re: speed of USB vs USB2.0

The USB 2.0 should be MUCH faster once correctly installed.

Although I've not yet tried a scanner with USB, if you are having speed issues, I suggest upgrading to the newest USB drivers you can find. Also make sure your USB cable says 2.0 on it, and make sure the cabling INSIDE your computer enclosure also has correct wiring to support USB 2.0 vs standard USB. That 8" wire from the motherboard to the back panel made all the difference in the world for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed throughout the thread that some of you were concerned about

scanning some MF slides/negs with the 2400. A friend of mine recently

helped scan in a few MF and 35mm BW & Color negs with his 2400 - I was

doing it as a favor to a friend/photographer for his online portfolio and

interactive CD. We ended up baggin the whole film tray option --- the flatbed

scan offered a very crisp scan and allowed us to scan more images in a

single pass. We just grabbed a piece of glass from one of the framed photos

on the wall and used it to hold the negs flat on the flatbed. This option also

allowed us to capture the sprockets and film coding of the negs - later used for

a nice, "raw" touch in display. So...although it may not answer the main

question here, I thought my insight may be found useful to some of you out

there. I think I'm gonna purchase the 2400 for now...I've seen it in action and

the the results were very pleasing.

-Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to point out that USB 2.0 is only supported if your operating system supports. For USB 2.0 to be active you need to be running at least Windows 2k or Windows XP, or MacOS X/10.2. The protocol is backwards-compatible meaning that 2.0 devices use the same cords and ports as USB 1.1/1.0 devices. If you do not have one of these operating systems installed, you will see no speed difference.

Therefore the 2450 with the FireWire gives you the speed boost if you don't have those operating systems. Of course, you need a Firewire port too..:)

Just my two cents..