Removing RF on Linhof Technika 4x5 camera

art_major

<p>Hey Guys,</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience to remove the RF on a Linhof Technika 4x5 camera?<br>

I have a used Technika V and I dont use the RF at all. I figured I could remove all the RF parts and cover up the gaping hole with a solid piece of aluminum. any thoughts or issues i should be worried with? THANKS.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>And what do you save? You canabilize your camera, affecting its future value, you remove a couple of ounces and add a plate that has weight. What did you gain?<br /> On a Linhof Master Technika 2000 (discontinued) or the current Master Technika 3000 there is no rangefinder and that allowed Linhof to add an internal extreme wide angle focusing system for lenses down to the 35mm Apo Grandagon rather then having to use individual helical mounts for each lens from 35 to 65mm or the now discontinued Wide Angle Focusing device for lenses from 65mm to 45mm. But your stripping your camera would not give you that extreme wide angle focusing capability of the 2000 and 3000. So what did you gain functionally? Nothing. What did you gain weight wise? A couple of ounces. But it is your camera. BTW, the current Master Technika Classic (with rangefinder) is 50 grams heavier then the Master Technika 3000.</p>

<p>yeah you guys are right, its more of an aesthetic issue fore me. its a function I dont use, so i dont want it there. I cant get a bit OCD or anal retentive about my gear.</p>

<p>I have a Master Technika as well if anyone wants to trade for a 2000 or 3000 model, im all for it!</p>

<p>I did this with a Technika III version V. Removing the rangefinder, cam, and intervening levers reduced the weight by about 8 oz (1/2 pound). I then covered the rangefinder hole in the body with thin black leather (from an old purse of my wife's) that approximately matched the camera's leather. If you want to use the camera with tilts and swings, then you need to focus using ground-glass and the rangefinder is useless anyway. However, I might hesitate removing the rangefinder mechanism on the more valuable Technika V. Why not sell it on e-bay and buy a more suitable model?</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hello. I have the opposite problem I recently scored a Technika IV at a pretty good price, but the preivous owner had done some "weight loss" on the camera. Do I need to remove the bellows to re-install the rangefinder bits and the part that accepts the lens cams? If I had to guess, I would say yes. <br>

Is there such a thing as a Linhof that is beyond repair? Or more accurately, where can one get random small bits if they are missing?<br>

Aslo, Mr. Salomon if you don't mind terribly, an age question; serial number 63784<br>

Thank you all for any assistance.</p>

<p>Mr. Salomon, thank you for the dates and phone number.<br>

Also, I was feeling brave, and decided to see how much of my camera I could figure out. I'll apologize now for not documenting the process. I got the bellows off with minimal difficulty, then took a good look at all of the parts I had from the previous owner. I first re-attached the accessory shoe (2 of 3 screws), I then re-mounted the "L" bar that interacts between cam shoe and rangefinder(missing 2 of 3 screws), then re-mounted plate containing prism and mirror(inside of rangefinder missing 1 of 4 screws), then put back on outer rangefinder housing (4 of 4 screws Yay!). Now though it seems I'm left with a cam shoe, a spring that looks vaguely like a re-worked paperclip, two approx 1" long flat springs, 2 eighth inch round spacers, screws that fit them (all for cam shoe I'm pretty sure), and I think that is all. <br>

In short, I'm missing some screws but for anyone's benefit the rangefinder goes back together pretty easily although you do have to remove the bellows first. It seems that with a finely engineered thing, the parts will only go back together the way they were meant to. And, I have no idea how to re attach the cam shoe, so for now it's ground glass only for me.<br>

I do have a list of questions for Marflex though, so if anyone can think of a better place within this forum I can post some of those answers, please let me know. -Mike.</p>