FM2n multi exposure lever doesn't work

nat_pelson

<p>I just bought an FM2n in terrific shape. Everything seems to work fine except the multi-exposure lever next to the wind crank. It moves about an eighth of an inch ( and I hold it there ), a small click is heard inside the camera but as I wind the crank the sprockets still turn and the counter advances. I took off the bottom base cover but didn't see anything that looked wrong.<br>

Is this a known issue and is there a fix?<br>

This is my very first Nikon after years/decades of Minolta devotion.</p>

<p>kaptor2 AT yahoo DOT company</p>

<p>The FM2N multi-exposure lever is a bit more fiddly than the same feature on the F3. With the F3 the lever stays in place after setting it and returns automagically after winding the film advance lever. Thus, the F3 is generally operable with the usual complement of appendages and opposable digits supplied to the standard issue human.</p>

<p>With the FM2N it's necessary to turn and hold the lever while moving the film advance lever at least a bit. Otherwise it won't engage and will seem to be malfunctioning.</p>

<ul>

<li>First, flip out the film advance lever to unlock the shutter release button.</li>

<li>Pull the multiple exposure lever back using the fingernail on the right index finger, or one or more of the phalanges from your spare mitt, or a borrowed finger from a small child since it's not really designed for a human adult hand.</li>

<li>Restrain the multiple hominid entrapment lever, or bribe the assistant to hold it back for you with promises of whatever geedunk or pogey bait is en vogue at the moment.</li>

<li>Now use the right thumb, or the opposable appendage from a borrowed orangutan, and gently take up the 1/17th-turn bit of slop in the film advance lever. During this delicate maneuver one of the hominids involved in this process should be able to feel the engagement slot for the motor drive on the bottom of the Nikon torture device moving, regardless of whether the multiple hominid entrapment device is operational, thus defeating any reassuring external cues that all is going as planned.</li>

<li>At this point you can release the multiple hominid entrapment lever.</li>

<li>Now finish winding the film advance lever. It should cock the shutter without advancing the film or film counter.</li>

<li>If it doesn't, screw the damn thing and go back to using bracketed digital photos and HDR.</li>

</ul>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I took off the bottom base cover but didn't see anything ...</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Access to this mechanism is under the top plate. The gearing and levers under the bottom plate are for the shutter charge mechanism. When working properly, the ME lever disengages the film sprocket shaft and take-up spool, but the mechanism under the bottom plate still rotates to charge the shutter.</p>

<p>I would guess this is a reasonably common failure on FE/FM series bodies. In my limited experience with them (maybe two dozen bodies over the years) I have seen several where the ME lever did not return automatically to the rest position (broken spring?) and at least one where it would not disengage the take-up spool. I suspect it is a rather fragile mechanism.</p>

<p>There is certainly a "fix", but unless you are really set on taking multiple exposures, I would guess the cost of a repair might not be worth it, given what will probably need to be done to get access to the problem area.</p>

<p>Well I WAS going to say "I guess I will pick up a junk/partser FM2n body to practice on" But I haven't seen one for less than $40 or so lol.<br>

The ME isn't the end of the world, I'm just a gadget freak who would like to see an otherwise near flawless put whole.<br>

I finally got a lens for it today and the FM meter matches my three Minoltas and my Oly OM-1 so I will see how the film turns out over the weekend.<br>

Thanks everyone, especially Michael!</p>

<p>BTW, Nat, just in case you're tempted to try the alternative method for multiple exposures - depressing and holding the rewind button while winding the film advance lever to cock the shutter - it's probably not a good idea on the FM2N.</p>

<p>I may be wrong about that. But last night I tried that familiar technique on my FM2N and it felt and sounded, for lack of a better term, all wrong. It seemed to produce an unpleasant snapping and grinding. Probably not a good idea to try it in lieu of the multiple exposure lever on the top plate. It didn't disconnect the take-up spool in the way this trick did with most other SLRs I've owned - Ricoh, Canon FTbn, Minoltas, Olympus OM-1 and OM-2N.</p>