D90 focus points

hcho22

<p>Hey Everyone, </p>

<p>Do anyone use focus points other than the center point on the D90? Lately, I've been having some problems with the points that are located on the left and the right. If you look at the attached photo, I focused on the baby's eyes and it totally missed it. It works perfectly when I use the center focus point, but when I use the left or the right points, it misses sometimes. Is this normal or do I have to get my camera calibrated?</p>

<p>Hyung</p><div>00XQXH-287571684.jpg.cbc4fbc2acbc314a35cdff953e42d82a.jpg</div>

<p>The D90 uses Nikon's Multi-CAM 1000 AF module that has 11 AF points, but only the center one is cross type, which is sensitive to both horizontal and vertical lines with contrast. It is normal that the other AF points will sometimes miss the focus due to the lack of contrast in the direction they are sensitive to.</p>

<P>

I have a D200 that also uses a Multi-CAM 1000, and I have my share of frustration using that camera indoors for the same reason.

</P>

<p>Interesting question, as I've had similar experiences and just chalked it up to my eye or sloppy technique. So, how do you deal with the issue of using the center point and recomposing when you're working on a tripod, as with a formal portrait where the central focus point doesn't fall on the eyes?</p>