Aires 35-111a

mihio

<p>I couldn't find a similar topic in the forum. Anything remotely similar was very old. If I missed something, please redirect me to a topic where I might find some info (via link).<br>

<br /> Anyhow, I just bought an AIRES 35-111a on craigslist for cheap. I'm wanting to shoot more rangefinder cameras. The guy who sold it to me said it was in good working condition (figures, eh?) but it's not. The shutter seems to stick in the 'X' mode which is the mode used when not shooting flash photography.<br>

<br /> Does anyone know of a person, business or store that specializes in rangefinder camera repair? I'd like to get this AIRES working again. It really doesn't seem like anything more is wrong with it. Cosmetically, it's in good condition. <br /> Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.</p>

The 35 IIIc is a nice looking camera from the picture in Wikipedia. Couldn't see one for the IIIa. Two things. Maybe you don't need to move from X mode and maybe the previous user never did. The picture credit for that 35 IIIc on Wikipedia is J Hopper. There is a knowledgeable J Hopper who has posted here: likely the same man. If he doesn't post in this thread I suggest you PM (personal message) him through photo.net. Maybe he knows something about repairing your model. The Wikipedia site has links to repair manuals. Good luck with the camera.

<p>Try the M sync setting on the shutter. If that works, go with it. Stay away from the V (self-timer) setting.<br>

The H-Coral 45/1.9 is a very nice lens. The viewfinder is nice as well, Aires had a unique design.<br>

Carol Flutot at Flutot's Camera Repair should be able to get it working without any problem, at a reasonable price. (But that may well be more than you paid on CraigsList.)</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that he just received my parts camera today. The second one is still on his way to him. If you send yours to him, he WILL have parts (from my parts camera). </p>

<p>Address:<br>

Gass Camera Repair<br>

5604 Johnson Dr.<br>

Shawnee Mission, KS 6202.<br>

Tel: 913 432-6057</p>

<p>I have no other relationship to him, other than being a customer.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Just a followup for anyone who may come across this post in the future.</p>

<p>Mr. Gass just called me up today. He repaired BOTH of the Aires III that I sent him. There is a III-L that looked to be in good shape cosmetically (though not fully functioning), and a III with missing parts that I thought would only be good as a parts camera. I sent the III to Clarence to cannibalize if necessary for parts in repairing the III-L.</p>

<p>Well, it seems that both cameras' shutters were jammed because they had been flooded with oil. Cleaning, degreasing and judicious lubrication of key areas restored the function of both cameras. The RF cleaned up well on both cameras. Also, although they are both Aires III, the III and III-L are different internally. Externally, the main difference is the LVS shutter - aperture interlock on the L.</p>

<p>Clarence actually serviced the III (the parts camera) for me AT NO CHARGE! He said it was my Christmas present. What a great guy! He also did not exceed his estimate of repair for the III-L. For the missing parts, he found or made parts that would make it function again, although they're not Aires factory made parts. This is the mark a true craftsman, and a gentleman.</p>

<p>Clarence intimated that he is thinking of retiring. So, if you need a great repairman, I would recommend that you get in touch with him before he retires. It seems that others are aware of this, as the reason it took until December for him to get to my camera is that he's been extremely busy lately.</p>