77 ltd play in focus ring

k_iwao

<p>My lens is ex demo with 12 mths warranty<br>

My 77 ltd has more than 1mm play in the focus ring when engaged in autofocus. I took it to Pentax. The person on the desk felt the rotational play and immediately said it needed repair and removed it from the body and put a lens cap on it but when he saw the guarantee he muttered demonstration and then suddenly changed his mind stating its not quick shift so this amount of play is ok. Did he mistake the lens for a da70(quick shift focus) or did he change his mind because it was an ex demo???<br>

Is over 1mm play in a quality lens like this acceptable? But I do not know how the screw drive works so I cannot see how it would impact on the performance of the lens anyway. <br>

If anybody could enlighten me on what effect if any play in the focus ring could have it would be much appreciated.<br>

Michael</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. Firstly I would like to point out that in manual mode there is absolutely no play in the barrel or focus ring. It is apparent when engaged in AF. As far as I am aware the drive is through a small gear so I think more than 1mm of movement in the focus ring equates to a lot of movement in that gear.<br>

Regarding autofocus consistency. I think this lens is more inconsistent than my fa50 or da70 but that could be poor judgement on my part. I place a focus test sheet flat agains a wall and focused on the bar taking several shots and it was about 80% accurate.</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. Firstly I would like to point out that in manual mode there is absolutely no play in the barrel or focus ring. It is apparent when engaged in AF. As far as I am aware the drive is through a small gear so I think more than 1mm of movement in the focus ring equates to a lot of movement in that gear.<br>

Regarding autofocus consistency. I think this lens is more inconsistent than my fa50 or da70 but that could be poor judgement on my part. I place a focus test sheet flat agains a wall and focused on the bar taking several shots and it was about 80% accurate.</p>