Kenko vs Opteka Extension Tubes

subha

<p>I am looking to do Macro photography using Extension Tubes. I had used Kenko extension tubes by combining 12mm + 25mm + 36mm on my Sigma 17-70mm lens and got some good results.That Kenko extension tubes was something I borrowed from a Friend.<br>

I was searching for Kenko extension tubes on Amazon and came across Opteka which is priced at half the price of Kenko.<br>

Opteka tubes are different: 13mm 21mm and 31 mm . does that smaller extension make a significant difference?<br>

your experience and thoughts</p><div>00XNI9-284877584.thumb.jpg.6b266c7f507cc0ee43be4dd449b4851d.jpg</div>

<p>I haven't used either, but I think the Kenko are the way to go from what I have surmised from other sources. At some point, cheap is just cheap. I bought an inexpensive adapter to put my Hasselblad lenses on my Canon, it was not machined properly and so was not in alignment, useless!</p>

<p>Small differences in an extension tube can make some difference, but generally they are close enough that you will not tell much difference in practical usage.</p>

<p>I'm not sure about Opteka but extension tubes are pretty simple and if they are even slightly well made, then they will work fine. Kenko are a good and safe choice but not the only choice. The Opteka look quite nice.<br>

Extension tubes are basically just tubes with the correct mounts on either end. You could even make your own with some body/lens caps and some card tubing.<br>

The extension amount basically controls how close you can get to your subject. Larger extension amounts mean closer to subject, so the Kenko set you borrowed will get closer than the Opteka set.<br>

An alternative to tubes is to use a reverse lens adapter. They let you get really close and are cheap.</p>

<p>Chuk and others thank you for your replies. I will go with Kenko's. I also used Reverse lens and stick it directly onto the body of the lens and shoot at f/16 aperture. I got some good shots using standard shoemount flash when shooting bugs at night..<br>

the above attached image of a red ant was in India using Kenko extension tubes 12 + 25 + 36 on a Sigma AF 17-70mm lens where the lens was extended to 70mm.</p>