Lighting a Wedding indoors with no windows

john_sebesta

<blockquote>

<p>much better results from your SB600 than with - I think - most other ideas.<br>

Any comments on that anyone?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My comment is the same as before.... why waste the flash power? The GFLS is a notorious waste of flash power. At the shooting distances the OP will be shooting at, the only benefit to be gained is diffusion and that can be achieved via other methods that don't waste as much light and are far cheaper. The only way the GFLS will soften the light is if it is able to bounce, which is this scenario is unlikely and again, other products will do the same for less.</p>

<p>I tend to agree with John D. I have a Lightsphere and have used it with the dome on. Used this way, the results are not much better than from white card bounce/Demb Diffuser. I believe Marios' idea is to use the flash like a bare bulb flash, so that the flash bounces off as many surfaces as possible. In a smaller room, this works OK. In a larger space like the one in question, the flash with Lightsphere will work in a more focused way, as will a bare bulb flash, actually. You will <strong>not</strong> get diffuse shadows and nice, soft lighting.</p>

<p>In addition, I wouldn't recommend John S. use his only flash off camera or when he has no experience using off camera flash. Not to mention he'd have to get triggers, etc.</p>

<p>I am glad to see so many responses here that are helpful. There are also a few pointers that may help but it may not apply in this case because it may be too late. First...so many people attempt to shoot weddings with equipment that does not really handle the uniqueness of that type of event very well. Just as you can't drive in the Indy 500 with a Prius, you really need to research the kind of gear that adequately does the job at weddings. Second...if flash is intimidating to you, and you want to do weddings, you need to put your fears aside and just learn the techniques. Your portfolio of weddings, while small, has some very nice available light shots but does not represent most of the aspects of wedding photography throughout the wedding day. Your landscape shots are terrific and show that you have a lot of skill in that area, so assuming you have a very good grasp of exposures and composition, you just have a few things to concentrate on to put your wedding setup together. Fast lenses! Landscapes and travel photography do not require speed. Weddings do..and then some! If you expect to increase your wedding portfolio you need to gear up with the right stuff. Weddings are a specialty and that requires some specialty tools. A couple of fast lenses will get you there easily. You should have the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8VR. That will cover almost everything for you in the beginning. Learning your flash techniques will get you the rest of the way.<br>

Also, you indicate you use the D90. I'd use that as a backup and move on up to a D700. That really helps in low light. If you have a D700 and 70-200 for a dimly lit church, a wee bit of flash should go a long way. Of course, you may not always be able to use flash during a ceremony. For a really dark place, just putting the lens and camera on a tripod and setting the iso at 1600 or 3200 will get you in the ballpark. <br>

Hope that helps! Have fun.</p>

<p>I would have not expected such in-depth, specific and helpful advice. Just reading through all of your contributions, I feel more comfortable about this wedding already :)</p>

<p>Y'all are a wonderful community of photographers and I hope that one day, I'll be able to help others as y'all have helped me. Thank you, sincerely!</p>