lenses for 550D

ming_chang

<p>Starting out with only a 50mm prime lens on a crop sensor camera yields some great pics but it does have limitations (effective 80mm). Want to take a group shot of friends? Stand waaay back. If you are in a small room, forget it. Just for more usability, I would start with a standard zoom, then add a prime later. IQ is great but if you can't get the shot it won't help much.</p>

<p>Nikon <strong>might</strong> still have a slight edge in superwide zooms, but not in any other category. I believe the consensus is that Canon still holds an equal edge in long lenses. I'm not sure either of these old generalities are still true. Presently some individual lenses are better from Nikon, and some are better from Canon, and some from Pentax, or Sony, etc. No one has a lock on quality, but generally more money will buy you a better lens from any of the large manufacturers.</p>

<p>Some Nikon cameras have better features than than the nearest Canon equivalent, and some Canon cameras have better features than the the nearest Nikon equivalent. Again, no one is the clear winner. In the past Canon's camera body prices were a little better in most categories, but I'm not sure how it lays out today. One thing that is clear is that if you're in the market for quality glass, you will usually have to pay more to get it with Nikon's or Sony's name on it. Canon's prices and features are pretty good when compared to the competition.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

<p>This is an old thread, but the T2i is still being sold new, along with the T3i, which has the same sensor and processor--and thus the same image quality.</p>

<p>I have shot mostly full-frame Canons, but I tried using some of the best EF lenses with the T2i, and I was astonished at the results. I have shot the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, the EF 24-70 f/2.8L, and others on it. I have to say that these lenses not only have the capability of bringing out the full potential of the sensor on the T2i, but also could be used if you ever plan to move up to full-frame Canon bodies.</p>

<p>So, one should not assume that the only options are to buy EF-S lenses. This camera is at its best with L series lenses, and all of these will fit both full-frame and crop sensor EOS cameras. Just looking toward the future here, since almost everyone wants to try full-frame EOS bodies sooner or later.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>

<p>If you ever do have the opportunity to get the EF 100 f/2.8L IS macro, grab it! That is the most fun lens to shoot on either crop or full-frame bodies that I have found, and it is tack sharp. It will be quite long on the T2i, but the results will knock your socks off. I used it for years on the Canon 5D II, and it works well there, too. I have used it on portraits as well as macro shots, and it does it all. I have also used it at events, where the really great IS on this lens really performs well indoors in less than perfect lighting.</p>

<p>In the meantime, as Dan said above, use the kit lens and enjoy it. When you do start expanding, at least think about using the EF lenses as well as the EF-S ones, since you can use the EF lenses on both crop sensor and full-frame cameras, but you can only use EF-S lenses on crop sensor bodies.</p>

<p>I know that whoever reads this next will not be the original poster, but the point is the same: enjoy the present, but anticipate the future in all purchases.</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>