Changing remote canon 580ex2 settings from master

dennis osipiak

<p>I recently took a seminar with Joe McNally with NAPP on of camera use of flash and was very impressed with the degree of control he was able to exercise from his primary or commander flash on camera. ( All Nikon). Settings on all of the remote flash units could vary from one another (ie one manual, one +2 comp TTL, one zero comp etc, zoom functions etc) and most importantly the primary commander flash could make those changes for EACH flash <em><strong>without</strong></em> going to each flash. All settings could be done remotely and could differ from one another. All of my stuff is Canon ( 580's and 580II ex's). Two questions....#1-- I know that settings like comp or shifting to manual can be done to the remote flash by making those changes at each flash, but can those changes be done from the main flash unit master as Nikon speedlites can? #2--how many flash units can be in each remote group? ( I believe there can be up to 3 remote groups, A,B,C, but can more than one flash be designated in group B for example?<br>

Thanks..Dennis</p>

<p>Check your flash manual for the 580s, it talks about flash groups etc. I think the only way to remotely control the different flashes is with the new Pocket Wizard or similar wireless radio commanders.<br>

I don't believe the Canon control unit can do this but I may be wrong.</p>

<p>You can have an infinite number of flashes per group.</p>

<p>The 580 EX II gives you a large amount of control over the groups but if you have a newer camera the in camera flash control lets you alter every setting on the flash via a more intuitive and much larger screen <a href="http://speedliting.com/how-to/best-flash-control-interface/">via the camera menus</a>. Keep one of the II's on camera to access this functionality.</p>

<p>Unfortunately you have seen the best, now you have to hear from the rest! Joe McNally really is in a league almost his own. Whilst I think CLS works better than E-TTL II automatically, the controlability of both systems is very similar.</p>