Ballhead for 300mm f2.8

amy_wilson

<p>I use the Wimberley Sidekick a lot with the Arca Swiss B1 for my 300mm f2.8. But the B1 locks up a lot and it is pretty annoying. Can anyone recommend ballhead with high quality to replace the B1, especially if I can also use it with the Wimberley sidekick, my canon 300 f2.8 and/or my 600mm? Many thanks</p>

I have, and really really like an Acratech head , I also have a 300 f 2.8 IS. The normal Acratechs will not do the job and

their long lens head will not work particularly well with a Sidekick. It is, however, a very interesting long lens head. Better

designed for level type shooting, sports and big animals, than high bird in flight type shooting.

<p>My Arca Swiss B-1 was jamming so I sent it in for a CLA and now it works great. <cite>www.precisioncameraworks.com </cite><br>

There are a lot of good ball heads out there with the quick release technology; Kirk has two excellent as does ReallyRightStuff, and Markins ball heads also have a great reputation. <br>

Good luck<br /></p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>The Original, the Long Lens Head, the GV and GV2 don't have a "gimbal" feature (Acratechs implementation of the drop notch). The GP and the GP-s do, but having used a 300 f2.8 on the bigger GP I have to say it is not up to it. In Acratechs defense, they don't say it should be, they use the lighter 100-400 and 400 f5.6 as examples of the "gimbal" feature.</p>

<p>What is different? Well the geometry might be similar, but I have found the leverage of the gimbaled mounting plate, with camera and lens, against the peg and groove on the top of the ball act as a very effective brake, smooth movements, even with a 300 are impossible, only a very brave person would mount a 600 in that fashion. Now you can lock the ball and just use the panning base, a la Sidekick, but again, the leverage of the camera/lens combination is way over spec for the pan mechanism, my 300 f2.8 will make it grate and grind.</p>

<p>I don't want to sound down on the Acratech, I have posted before that is the best and most flexible head I have ever used, I would not be without one, but big lens use is the one area that they don't perform as well as other options.</p>

<p>Dieter,</p>

<p>You are correct, the GV2 is the head the gimbal feature was introduced on.</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>The GP is 100% capable of holding, and locking, a pro body and a 300mm f2.8 and 2x TC at any angle, I often use it for surfing photography. It will pan and tilt effortlessly with that gear on in the upright position too, but to get portrait mode I turn the lens in it's collar, putting that setup into the gimbal angle does not work as well. Like I said, I don't want to sound down on the Acratech, it is a superb head well able to support a 300 f2.8, but not via a Sidekick.</p>